diy solar

diy solar

Advice for optimizing heat flow to spread throughout van

Gueyog8a7

Currently heater is at mid level of the van, placed right at the rear and facing the front. As such the heat spreads in a jet from the 30cmx6 approx aperture rising to the ceiling.

I am only in a transit connect and thought it would be so small that it wouldn't matter and the whole space would heat pretty quick regardless. This has not been the case. Some little heat may travel down below the heater but most doesn't. It also doesn't reach behind the heater to any degree where moisture pockets remain as well as to the front.

I will also add there is a 96mm vent in the roof will a 100mm fan pulling. That is about 1/3 down the van roof from the front. There is also a 96mm passive vent in the floor. I suppose the floor vent keeps the lower level from heating to a greater or lesser degree.

I am thinking to capture the warm air via ducting and a fan or two to pull down to the lower regions. I have tried a couple of makeshift attempts to capture the heat at the source, at the heater itself, but this is made tricky since the opening is large and not a simple circle. My latest try was cover the inside of an empty 5 litre drinks bottle in aluminium tape and cutting a whole the rough size of the heater opening. I also have bought a 6 meter aluminium flexible duct pipe and so made a cutout to fit that in the drink bottle. It kind of worked as some air came out the other end of the duct but nowhere near what comes out of the heater itself.

I am thinking it would be easier to just pull the heated air that has risen to the ceiling down with a fan one on end either entry or exit of the 100mm duct. Any performance advantage to entry or exit? Does that sound like it would work? I was also thinking make get a T junction and duct one side to the front of the van to heat the cab and clear out condensation and one to the rear corner to heat that part too. Both on the floor of course or as near as I can get.

Also is it a short circuit risk to run the aluminium duct over my battery because that would be the best place to run it since it is behind my bed and that is where the battery and the rest of the electrics are. The duct is plastic outer with aluminium inner so it is insulated but of course want to err on the side of caution and it would be placed right over the battery. Alternatively I could perhaps raise the battery and make a wooden channel to run the duct under if that would ensure safety. Failing either of those I could probably run on the ceiling,

Since warm air rises, the furnace vents in my RV were placed near the floor. No additional fans or ducting needed ... simple and efficient. But that is the difference between designing something and throwing stuff together. If you are going to build ducts, duct the heater air out near the floor.

Back