diy solar

diy solar

How to fill diesel tank for heat/cooking in passenger side at filling station which is opposite side of main fuel tank cap on van? Thread starte

Gueyog8a7

Initially it was not screwed down so I just lifted it out of the passenger footwell and moved it round to the side where the main tank port is.

I did think I could make it demountable again however this is not really good since I would have to constantly be pulling the fuel pipe connector on and off. Unless there was a way to make the fuel pipe unclippable without degrading its integrity but I can imagine even if such a thing were doable some diesel drips would leak out and diesel stink and is a mare to clean up.

Last time I tried to angle the van in such a way I might be able to reach both the passenger well and the other side of the van where the main tank is but alas the pump hose was too short.

I have ended up having to fill one side and move the van to another pump. This is rather cumbersome and causes unnecessary confusion for the attendants where I pay. Not a big deal at my local but I could see in places I don't have a rapport with them they may think I was driving off if I didn't first brief them as to what I wanted to do. Regardless it is an awkward step I wish to do away with.

Of course I can buy a separate fuel can to fill which is what I will do if there are no better suggestions but since I am in such a small van (transit connect) space is seriously limited and I was thinking that when I have used it to fill from the pump and then fill the passenger side tank then storing it will just be wasted space. I will do that if there are no better suggestions but prefer to avoid.

So are there any other ideas how I can fill that the other tank without the curfuffle and also using minimum of space in the van?

Also btw passenger footwell is the best place for it. Driver side footwell is a no no as all my electrics are right behind it on the wall side behind the bed. I figured diesel tank next to electrics = bad combo. Besides there is more room over on the passenger side, since i took out the seat and made a cabinet for storage and the tank goes to the front.

I also know that tapping the main tank is an option but don't really want to 'go there' as lowering the main tank does not sound appealing and have no intention of hiring someone to do it.

That’s a bit of a word salad, but if I understand your issue, why not:

Fill your main tank and pay for the fuel
Drive around to the other side of the pump.
Fill your other tank and pay for the fuel.

Not going to get into what this tank is, how it’s installed, secured, vented, filled, or used.

Unless there was a way to make the fuel pipe unclippable without degrading its integrity
Use a marine outboard motor fuel tank, with quick connect fitting, various sizes, example,

Use a marine outboard motor fuel tank, with quick connect fitting, various sizes, example,
I can't help but feel that the OP has a spare gas can in his footwell that he's filling while it's in the vehicle by the simple expedient of hauling the fill nozzle in the passenger side door, but he's not into pictures or explanations, and I kinda don't want to know.

Install a fuel pump on main tank to transfer fuel to the secondary tank while filling the main tank.

Thinking along these same lines I bought this but it didn't work at all! It seems that while it may be diesel tight it was not air tight at all and the suction no longer worked and no diesel would pull past the connection. A tiny bit came up to the upper part of the other side of the connector but would not pull through the pipe further. The filter just stayed dry. As soon as I removed it and switched back to how it was originally without this connector is worked fine again.

Would that tank you suggested cause the same issue or is that made to also allow airtight/suction capability? Even so I don't see it worth spending 80+ for that which is what it seemed to cost when I looked from what I remember.

I am hesitant to meddle with the fuel line again now as I don't want to possibly compromise efficacy of operation as it does not seem worth it for this minor inconvenience.

I bought a 10 liter fuel can which arrived yesterday but as I had thought it might be it is too wide to fit in the small gap in the foot well passenger side which remains after having fitted the fuel line tank.

So back to evaluating my options.

I was thinking I could use a syphon from the main tank to this auxilliary one. This gives the benefit of storing the fuel in the main tank without me having to get yet another one or to tap the main tank and all that is involved in that. Have to experiment to see if it is viable.

The marine tanks have a vent that needs to be opened. The tanks in my experience always needed a primer bulb if you disconnect as air tends to enter the line and needs to be purged.

Back