diy solar

diy solar

How can I power diesel heater since solar is probably going to be almost useless in winter when I want heat most?

Dickinson stoves are popular in boats. But look at the numbers:

Chinese diesel heater: $83 - Actual purchase price off Amazon
Dickinson stove $850 plus shipping - requires electricity for fan
Harbor Freight generator - 1400 watt to recharge battery - $449

I'm not seeing how the Dickinson stove fixes the issues.

Why not go all the way and get a generator and have other options.

For the price difference you can buy multiple spare diesel heaters. If one dies, trash can it and move on.

If money is no issue, why live in a van in the winter?

The Dickinson I linked was only an example, I didn't realize it needed any power at all, mea culpa. Although it does look like it only needs power to start, and for high power, which won't be needed in a van.

Something like this might be more suitable.

Only 6800BTUs, which will suit the small space much better, and specifically no power required.

Edit: OP needs an electricity free heating method, and says they're not strapped for cash. This solves that problem.

3200 btu per hour is one kw. So thats about 2kw. In a steel van in low temps, its going to be cold. The Chinese 8kw ( supposedly ) heater is $83. Im not seeing anything comparable.

The Dickinson I linked was only an example, I didn't realize it needed any power at all, mea culpa. Although it does look like it only needs power to start, and for high power, which won't be needed in a van.

Only 6800BTUs, which will suit the small space much better, and specifically no power required.

Edit: OP needs an electricity free heating method, and says they're not strapped for cash. This solves that problem.
Electricity free heat ....thats not what he said. Read the title. The question is how does he power his diesel heater.

Electricity free heat ....thats not what he said. Read the title. The question is how does he power his diesel heater.

People don't buy drill bits because they want drill bits. They buy drill bits because they want holes.

If you'll read the rest of the OP and not just the title, he says he got his solar setup mainly to power his diesel heater. Finding that lacking in the winter, he asked what other options there are. A heater that doesn't need electricity is an option that solves his problem. I'm selling him a hole, not a drill bit.

Dickinson stove $850 plus shipping - requires electricity for fan

If money is no issue, why live in a van in the winter?
Yes if it requires electric the issue is moot.

There are plenty reasons to live in a van. For me it is some personal reasons however also huge cost savings. In summary living in a city was no longer via to me and the cost savings and freedom make vanlife the logical choice. So I am just saving the money to buy some land.

Spending a good wedge of cash for some premium piece of kit also makes sense if it is economical over time. Like I spent 1k for a stove and diesel heater combo. Large initial outlay but I ran the numbers and it worked out better than gas over time, about 2 years to break even then it is saving money in comparison, and also saving a lot of space without having to have the gas locker. Also using one fuel source is nice.

As above I have bought a diesel stove and heater so the issue now is not what I will use but how to cover the power over the winter months but touch wood been ok so far for a couple weeks with my 200w solar pulling only a few watts per day and 100ah lifepo4 and the days are getting longer again :).

Last edited:
Hasn't David McLuskie been experimenting with self powered diesel heaters? Check you tube?

People don't buy drill bits because they want drill bits. They buy drill bits because they want holes.

If you'll read the rest of the OP and not just the title, he says he got his solar setup mainly to power his diesel heater. Finding that lacking in the winter, he asked what other options there are. A heater that doesn't need electricity is an option that solves his problem. I'm selling him a hole, not a drill bit.
Op wants to power his heater. Doesnt need your hole. Bad analogy....but good try.?

Op wants to power his heater. Doesnt need your hole. Bad analogy....but good try.?
I will happily be the one offering 10,000 options that don't happen to work out, instead of the one crapping on those who are offering options. You're about to meet my ignore button.

Haha while I had discussed both through the thread I am now settled on additional power as I have paid 1k almost for a diesel heater and stove so that is the main feature in my van I will be working with.

Hasn't David McLuskie been experimenting with self powered diesel heaters? Check you tube?
I have since been watching his videos and that thing he made is by no means attainable for an average joe. Even he had collaboration with other enthusiasts to make it happen.

It was fun to watch and he did get it to work, but WOW what an expensive PITA it was! 😆
Since my diesel stove/heater is now broken and looking at a fight with the seller to get any cooperation what do you think about the other options listed such as

I've cooked on diesel powered stoves, they SSSUUUCCCKKKEEEDDD for temperature control or even heating. I'd rather spend the money on honkin batteries and power a hot plate any day than ever have to cook on diesel again.

Back