diy solar

diy solar

Is it practical for me to live off grid with no electricity and with that internet?

Because simpler = better. It is also bugging me now that the hidden fuel cost of requiring electricity for heating is super underplayed. I did get that before I bought the diesel heating but I didn't know just how hard it would be to get enough electricity to cover enough to power electronics for heating. That is stupid imo. In this case you should consider most heating requiring two fuel sources - main one and electricity. No one really talks about the electricity requirements just assuming that it is a given you will have enough.

Diesel may well be very efficient to heat a space but is useless if you are unable to power the electricity to run it which is what I am finding now in the coldest days we've had in the uk this year as low as -8. So it fails right when I would want it the most. That just highlights the nuisance of relying on technology which has many moving parts.

I rediscovered a guy I came across in searching around the topic I guess years ago and interesting to see how he has developed and distilled his ideas.

Look at this video from 13 years ago. Then look at where he has got to in the past few years in this more recent interview.

Where he is at in the recent one is pretty much just what I have in mind. From the interview it sounds like he is trying to take it even further as he takes issue even with low impact agricultural farming and wants to go to total hunter gatherer style. Small vegatable crops will do me :).
Tech or electricity is a double edged sword for sure, but like swearing off fire, I think swearing off electricity is a mistake. The issue isn't tech or electricity itself, the issue is how one chooses to implement and use it, and to what degree one allows it into their life.

Failing to take into account the electricity usage of your heating system doesn't reflect on a fundamental issue with electricity. Electricity has improved the lives of billions of people, and almost all of the world's population would die without it.

I also suggested an electricity-free heating alternative. Maybe you can sell your current heating system and recoup some of the cost, to be put towards an electricity free heating system.

Back