diy solar

diy solar

Is such a thing as off grid internet possible?

I'm probably having a blonde moment, but I still don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

I think what you are saying is like... can you make your own car then drive it to a far off town without using any roads :unsure:

If you're Doc Brown perhaps! ;) "Where we're connecting... we don't need connections!"

the internet is pretty much the opposite of offgrid, sounds like you want a basically a way to connect to a massive global communications network, but not pay for any of the costs of building and maintaining the network that brings that access to you?

Starlink is renting from a company so no different. Just a different technology and company.

What I am getting at is the idea of open source rather than just piggybacking off other peoples stuff. Like how you can self host your own websites by running a server from home rather than renting from a commercial provider and being subject to their terms and such. I am wondering if there is an equivalent to 'roll your own' internet access, even albeit at a heavily compromised rate as I image economy of scale would work against you. So not renting line from anyone and not surfing other company's access be it public or not. I am wondering what technology it takes for that and if using the proprietary telecommunication lines is the only way in.
LoRa networks are the only thing that exist like what you're wanting. Ignore the HAM guys it isn't anything near as capable for distance and far more moderated

There are two major networks https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/map (the map has a lot more nodes than it says when zoomed out. mostly in europe)
and
https://lora-alliance.org/lorawan-coverage/ (this one is more commercial, never been involved with it)

It is very slow, but it has massive range. Plenty for sending text type msgs etc

These networks there's no commercial providers, you run stuff and the idea is once enough people run their $20 nodes someone from across the planet can talk. Hopefully we get a nice magical bridge of boats or something to cross the ocean because I don't think Will is going to lay an cross-continent oceanic cable for us

alternatively there's OpenNIC project, Tor, I2P etc which work on top of the actual internet
but yea for the most part this below is required for the internet
You really haven't got a clue what the internet is do you ?

The internet is a huge interconnected global network, much like the power grid, but then on a much much bigger scale
To get on, you need to be connected to it, either by cable ( fibre, coax, network cable) or through a wireless device connecting to that cable

LoRa networks are the only thing that exist like what you're wanting. Ignore the HAM guys it isn't anything near as capable for distance and far more moderated

There are two major networks https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/map (the map has a lot more nodes than it says when zoomed out. mostly in europe)
and
https://lora-alliance.org/lorawan-coverage/ (this one is more commercial, never been involved with it)

It is very slow, but it has massive range. Plenty for sending text type msgs etc

These networks there's no commercial providers, you run stuff and the idea is once enough people run their $20 nodes someone from across the planet can talk. Hopefully we get a nice magical bridge of boats or something to cross the ocean because I don't think Will is going to lay an cross-continent oceanic cable for us

alternatively there's OpenNIC project, Tor, I2P etc which work on top of the actual internet
but yea for the most part this below is required for the internet
Lora is by no means a comparison to internet as OP states it..
OP basically want to bake his cake and eat it too..

If the federal government were to buy out all the companies who currently own the fiber access to the Net and then allow the public to tap into the fiber lines for free, that would do it. Hell will probably freeze over before that happens in our capitalistic country.
Can't say I'd trust the government (ANY government) controlling the internet and its access. Bad things happen when you do that.

Not that big tech is much better... we've seen the damage they can do when they collude WITH the government...

There is a bit of a difference between using open source software on someones on own hardware, and wanting free access to a massive global network infrastructure.
And there is a bit of a difference between not wanting to subscribe and not wanting to pay anything. Not sure what the OP has in mind, but that seems to be the relevant issue.

To the OP: I see you are in the UK, check with your gov about free internet.
Some progressive govs (esp in Europe, eg. Finland?) are starting to consider a connection to be a right not a privilege esp as it supports receiving gov services - and paying taxes!!
This is a political issue so don't expect sympathy from everyone. Some wealthy countries don't even have state-funded health care!

I think there is confusion about whether the OP wants "cost free Internet access" or "decentralized, DIY, or otherwise feels like off-grid Internet access". I read the original post as the latter.

You may be able to do last-mile Internet that feels less like "big telecom company running a cable to your property", but if you're accessing most of the content on the Internet, you're eventually depending on cables owned and maintained by big telecom companies and the complicated agreements between them.

So far, the LoRA suggestions feel to me like the closest thing the OP is asking for. But, my understanding is it isn't so much another set of traditional Internet connections but a bunch of last mile LoRA -> Internet gateways for things like sensors.

Last edited:
Do you trust Comcast more? Cause that's the kind of result you will get if you release the government's control.
I already said I don't really trust big tech either. Combine it with the collusion between the two and oh boy....
I probably trust Comcast slightly more than the government. Like 0.01% more. But I'm not on Comcast. They don't service this area. I'm on Spectrum. I'm sure they're about 0.00001% better than Comcast :LOL:

I think he wants internet to be like solar power. You get electricity but don't have to connect to the grid.

The whole point of internet is to connect the grid so there is no way around not connecting to it.

You'll need to go back to using books and cups with strings on them. Those are one-time purchases.

Back