diy solar

diy solar

Where is off-grid utopia?

I looked up a topography map for our area. My land has no more than 3 feet of elevation change across the 30 acres, so it is very flat.
This is way northeast Texas, 15 minutes from the Oklahoma border and 25 minutes from the Arkansas border. The area is forested, and gets about 55 inches of rain per year. I took that site photo in mid-August at the peak of heat (over 100 degrees) and everything was still lush and green.

NE-Texas-Corner.png
Great deal for somebody. I like that it appears to be mostly somewhat level ground. Trees look healthy. How much rain do you get? It looks pretty green, now anyway

I looked up a topography map for our area. My land has no more than 3 feet of elevation change across the 30 acres, so it is very flat.
This is way northeast Texas, 15 minutes from the Oklahoma border and 25 minutes from the Arkansas border. The area is forested, and gets about 55 inches of rain per year. I took that site photo in mid-August at the peak of heat (over 100 degrees) and everything was still lush and green.

View attachment 189077
I picked up one of those real estate sales magazines when I passed through northeast Texas. There was a lot of cheap land in it.

Number of kg of wood per day, I guess around 50 to 75kg total for both the masonry fireplace and the boiler. It's a mixture of birch, pine and spruce, so the estimate is just that.

@Zwy
Well, my estimate was completely wrong... make that 30kg per day total, at -30C. I measured this last week since this number I gave you was bugging me, and had a feeling it was off...

Although our taxes are ugly here in Nebraska, on my property near the platte river, 25ft with a sandpoint will get you a usable well. Heck, 10 feet would almost. In the river bottom area, every 20 years or so we get some kind of a flood, it's just part of life here. Almost zero crime, though. Typical midwestern winters and summer. Very little zoning in rural areas, and minimal californicans about. If I want a new well, I just go to TSC and get the pipe and sandpoint, and use the loader on my tractor to push the pipe down. No permits necessary.

Although our taxes are ugly here in Nebraska, on my property near the platte river, 25ft with a sandpoint will get you a usable well. Heck, 10 feet would almost. In the river bottom area, every 20 years or so we get some kind of a flood, it's just part of life here. Almost zero crime, though. Typical midwestern winters and summer. Very little zoning in rural areas, and minimal californicans about. If I want a new well, I just go to TSC and get the pipe and sandpoint, and use the loader on my tractor to push the pipe down. No permits necessary.
Don't forget the corn and Cornhuskers.

Scratch off cali, western Oregon and western Washington but if you like cooler weather Idaho, Montana, Colorado and Wyoming are nice
I'm in Southwest Oregon, and we get a LOT of sun year round. From Roseburg, OR to the south, is much different than the northern part of the state, fyi.

Back