diy solar

diy solar

What is your favorite off grid device-appliance-gadget?

There have been quite a few, some relatively close to me.
I've caught some big fish in the susquehanna river below one of them...
Never fished near a nuclear plant (but it sounds fun) but in Charleston as a boy we used to used to shrimp with a cast net near the out put of a sewage cleaning facility up in the coastal rivers … Goodness at the size of those shrimp in late summer and fall .all were huge but I’ve seen some near a ft long…we called em sewer pipe shrimp…
ah the good ole days…..

Never fished near a nuclear plant (but it sounds fun) but in Charleston as a boy we used to used to shrimp with a cast net near the out put of a sewage cleaning facility up in the coastal rivers … Goodness at the size of those shrimp in late summer and fall .all were huge but I’ve seen some near a ft long…we called em sewer pipe shrimp…
ah the good ole days…..
And now a days you could cook em with solar power.
Screenshot_20231112-215231.jpg

I run my 110v mig welder from my off grid solar system. It runs from a 3000 watt Aims MSW inverter and a lead acid battery bank. Not sure if the welder or the air compressor draws the most current.
That's a surprise ! Really "impressed" the solar handles that !
I have a "special" circuit that goes directly to grid for such animals,didn't think solar could handle it,wasn't even gonna try

.I do have a "strong" solar system,power to spare.I wonder what the start up surge is ?

Last edited:
ah the good ole days…..
Yum Yum eating "anything" that's been eating sewage...yum yum

Yum Yum eating "anything" that's been eating sewage...yum yum
Haaa… it sounds abit different than it was … it was a treated discharge outlet, and obviously it was
“nutrient rich“ but by golly whatever it contained drew in every shrimp , flounder, blue crab ,stone crab and other swimming critter in the area.
They all fried or steamed up tasty as could be…yum yum…
J.

Here is another of my favourite off grid appliance. The Rocket oven!!! Use it for all our baking needs. It also gets to 900*F. I only have a 600*F guage so I don't shoot for 900. I routinely cook at 550*F for bread, along with pizzas. Uses scrap lumber, offcuts from woodworking projects, twigs/branches. Its been awesome. We regularly have pizza partys and it uses maybe an armload for 10+ pizzas. Reaches 350*F in ten minutes.

Awesome Rocket oven!!

I like pretty much everything I've ever bought for our off grid cabin but my favorite items are still the first ones I installed -- the wireless broadband connection and the cameras. Of the cams, the Lorex 360 cam is my favorite because I can see about 270 degrees of the property from one vantage point. I have a couple other cameras that fill in the other angles including a couple of solar-powered Eufys that work well. The Lorex cams use power over ethernet (PoE), so I control their power use by connecting them with a PoE switch which is plugged into a Kasa smart outlet. I have a bunch of Kasa smart switches and outlets, so I can manage every circuit remotely (except for the 20 amp appliance circuit which I turn on/off manually).

The other favorite thing is the propane-fired camp shower. I have a Joolca, I've seen the same unit sold as Camplux and a half dozen other brands. It is awfully sweet to fire that up and grab a shower at the end of the day. Even on cold days, it does a good job heating the water as hot as I can take it.

It's looking chilly there this morning.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 7.06.07 AM.png

I like these MPOWERD Luci lights. I've given a few as gifts too and people love them. Waterproof, indoor/outdoor rechargeable solar lights. Great for camping, parties, emergencies, etc. I like the $23 color changing one but there is a cheaper one that is just white light.

Nice. What is you method for getting wireless broadband remotely? Thanks

The rural phone coop provides wireless broadband service and I was lucky enough to be in a spot that has line of sight to their equipment office down in the valley. Straight line distance is about 3/4 mile. They put a high gain antenna on the cabin and one on a pole outside their equipment office. Bam.

The connection is good for 100 mbps down but I have the mid-tier 50 mb service. It's more than fast enough for me and I was more interested in upload speeds. At that tier I have 10 mb up which can support several decent video streams.

Just zoomed in and took a pic of their office. You can see the antenna mounted on the phone pole. Kinda neat that I can see my connection to the Internet, I think.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 4.25.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 4.25.22 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The old tin can and string was a favorite at one time.

I bought a Solar Chill 24 volt stainless steel swamp cooler manufactured in Tucson. I run it independently with two of my old Arco M55 panels and 4-6 volt golf cart batteries. I can run it all day and into the evening without tapping into my off grid system. Love it!

Vox VT40X Tube Modeling Amp. Runs direct DC 12V-19V and pulls about 7 Watts when cranked with 2 pedals.

JBL Flip 5 small Bluetooth speaker with surprising quality sound. Recharges on USB C.

Ryobi 40V 750 CFM brushless blower. Surprisingly quiet and somehow comes in handy almost every day. Recharges from 24V battery bank with DC to DC booster. Pulls 600 Watts from battery on high and over 900W on turbo.

Back