diy solar

diy solar

What is your favorite off grid device-appliance-gadget?

My wood splitter and chain saw. Fully electric, no fuel to deal with, processing all my wood for winter during times I have excess solar in spring/summer/autumn.

I am also 100% electric on chain saw and splitter , both low draw so easy to run off grid

I don't think they are as good as petrol equipment, but certainly good enough for me

Hot air fryer. Bought it mainly for less grease in my food and didn’t think about energy consumption. Realizing that it’s not really throwing much heat out the back and mostly recirculating it thus putting it into the food. I put it on the counter with the rear towards the oven hood(microwave)vent and set the fan on low. Food odors go right out. Much less time and energy used than an electric oven and the food isn’t as mushy as a microwave.

Have a Stihl gas chain saw that has great power when the carb is right. Recently got a Husqvarna electric model and it purrs through the wood with a bit less effort. Love the instant on and off for safety

We picked up this dehydrator and it's great! I've been using it as a "small" dump load @ 600 watts but also getting some great fruit leather and that's so much easier to store than in the freezer.

I do the same. I process tons of apples, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. each year.

We picked up this dehydrator and it's great! I've been using it as a "small" dump load @ 600 watts but also getting some great fruit leather and that's so much easier to store than in the freezer.
That is another product I looked at this year when my sugar crisp apple trees really exploded with fruit. Didn't get one but maybe for Christmas?

I got some really good ideas for products I want from the comments.

Definitely want a food dehydrator and slow cooker or crock pot.

I also like rechargeable gadgets and have a couple of LI battery jump starters and one with a tire inflator that I use on my ebike.

If you have gadgets you like please share them!

I'll play along, I know a lot were already mentioned.
Solar Assistant
Induction Cooktop
Mini Split heat pump (high seer rating)
Pressure cooker
Air fryer
Water Distiller
Coal Stove
Chinese diesel heater
Milwaukee fuel tools
High CRI LEDs

Edit - were not we're.

Last edited:
I'll play along, I know a lot we're already mentioned.
Solar Assistant
Induction Cooktop
Mini Split heat pump (high seer rating)
Pressure cooker
Air fryer
Water Distiller
Coal Stove
Chinese diesel heater
Milwaukee fuel tools
High CRI LEDs

Same here

Also Milwaukee fuel tools and my HK MP5 SD. They all come in handy when needed.

My wood splitter and chain saw. Fully electric, no fuel to deal with, processing all my wood for winter during times I have excess solar in spring/summer/autumn.

I went with an electric wood splitter because I ***REALLY*** didn't want another gas engine to maintain. I was hesitant because of the low 5 ton rating, but have been very pleasantly surprised at how well it does, zero regrets, very glad I didn't get a gas splitter.

I also have 80v Kobalt yard equipment - mower, blower, string trimmer, and chainsaw. Again, I didn't want to deal with any more gas engines. I do have larger gas chainsaws(necessary out here + heat with wood), but the rest of the stuff, you couldn't give me top tier gas powered equivalents.

None of this was bought for use on solar, but the possibility is a nice bonus.

Back