diy solar

diy solar

What is your favorite off grid device-appliance-gadget?

Solarcabin Channel

Solar Addict
By off grid I mean low power consumption. We probably have all collected some off grid equipment we really like so share what you have found that works great and the brand and where you got it would be helpful please. Also a picture would be nice!

I have a few I really like and the Alpicool C20 fridge/freezer I use 24/7 at the cabin is now 5 years old and has kept my food frozen without a single problem. Only uses 45 watts and you can get them on Amazon. They make several sizes.

Another is the Elite Gourmet air fryer and at 700 watts it is great for fast meals and I use it all the time. The dash mini griddle is only 300 watts and perfect for making pancakes or frying an egg and bacon for a fried egg sammich when I am camping or using a power station. Also on Amazon.

My favorite is my ebike and I have an Ariel X 52 volt that will do 35mph and 30+ mile range and used practically every day in summer for supply runs, No maintenance in 2 years except to replace the back tire. I also have the doggy hut X large trailer to take the dogs along or haul a big load of supplies. Ariel X is having a black Friday sale with big discounts if you are looking.

Ok, what are your favorite off grid device-appliance-gadgets?

air fryer.PNG Doggyhut trailer Thumb amazon.png eggs.jpg alpicool c20.jpg

Last edited:
No one has any neat low power off grid or camping gadgets they want to share?

Man, I was lookin for some ideas for new stuff to try!

Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. My Mini 3 Qt version uses 670 watts at 120v for 3-10 minutes for room temperature water to seal for high pressure cooking. Then it is mostly 0 watts while cooking under pressure. Occasionally, it might draw a few watts to keep the pressure up for long pressure cycle cooking.

Can also fry in it, boil water, cook rice, cook beans either from dry or soaked overnight in 5-10 minutes of pressure build up then 0 watts while cooking the beans. Makes great overnight yogurts and uses very few watts after 1st boil fir the 8 to 15 hour fermentation. Some cake recipes too and more.

Just like DIY Solar or BMS set ups, there is a bit of a learning curve to maximize it's functions, pressure releases and power savings. Comes in 3 sizes, each size up using slightly more watts to build pressure for the larger volume but then the same 0 watts while "cooking" and for shorter times than frying, baking, steaming, etc.. Win Win for power saving.

Far far more energy efficient than using my induction hot plate that now collects dust.

We have a countertop electric kettle at work. Burns a decent amount of power, but only for a very short amount of time. Very efficient compared to a kettle on a resistance element stove.

I've thought about getting one for here at home, just don't want any more junk on the counter.

99 percent of my tools are battery powered (ryobi), except for mt table saw. Even the riding mower is a ryobi 48v
Some of the tools that have interchangeable batteries are great. I have B&D but those have all different batteries and chargers.

I use corded power tools off a small power station like my weed eater and my mower has a built in battery.

In our motorhome (RV), off grid we use an
Air fryer
Double induction hob
Reduced voltage microwave oven
George Foreman grill
Low voltage kettle
And have now added an electric pizza oven
We can even heat the motorhome and hot water (though it does need to be managed)

all powered (not at the same time) via a 3kw Renogy Inverter and Fogstar 300Ah lithium battery

You don't necessarily need low voltage appliances if you can recharge your battery. We have 60A Renogy DC to DC charger and 200w of permanent solar plus a 150W foldable panel. All worked brilliantly throughout a couple of European trips this year (without the DC to DC which we recently added after we realised it would really make a difference)

I got a pizza stone with a cover to use on my wood stove or propane stove.

How many watts is the pizza oven?
I previously used an LPG gas cadac (south African BBQ type cooker) for everything Inc pizzas (with a stone of course) but using the electric one for 'free' makes me smile. It's about 1200w but it's only on for 15mins

It's like this one, for me the simplicity of turning it and waiting for it to ping, while getting in with doing other stuff such as drinking beer ..... rather than having to watch it and make sure the gas stays lit etc another advantage is that if the weather is bad, we can still use the pizza oven et al INSIDE the motorhome.

Last edited:
Back