diy solar

diy solar

Rural off grid Internet options

Photosolo

OK So apologies if there’s already a thread about this somewhere, i couldn’t find it.

We live in Wales,UK
Completely off grid.

We live on a hill with no 4g signal near the house, although at the top of our land you can usually pic up some 4g.

Is there a clever DIY option for sending & possibly amplifying this signal down to the house?

Before anyone mentions Starlink im nit interested in paying £75 a month !

Thanks in advance
Dan

Last edited:
4G router at top of hill and then paired set of wifi access points. A couple of 250W panels and a 100AH battery to power it all.

MicroTik 4G router worked for me, used it on Three, EE and Voda (O2 was on that mast to)

4G router at top of hill and then paired set of wifi access points. A couple of 250W panels and a 100AH battery to power it all.

MicroTik 4G router worked for me, used it on Three, EE and Voda (O2 was on that mast to)
Ok so the plus side is that it sounds doable. I just have a can of worms to now get into.
Can you recommend any other resources for learning about DIY install ?

I install 4g routers and antennas here in rural France. Just pm me if you need any help. You will probably struggle in winter for power using solar. How far from the house is the 4g signal ?

I install 4g routers and antennas here in rural France. Just pm me if you need any help. You will probably struggle in winter for power using solar. How far from the house is the 4g signal ?
Thanks for reply
We get speeds in teens at the top of our land. Which is about 50m away ish?
We may get similar with something off the roof possibly?
Although i would be worried about lightening in the winter. We have a metal roof. We have lost many routers inside the house due to storms.
For context our internet is through copper phone line at the min & we get a speed of around 3mb !

Thanks for reply
We get speeds in teens at the top of our land. Which is about 50m away ish?
We may get similar with something off the roof possibly?
Although i would be worried about lightening in the winter. We have a metal roof. We have lost many routers inside the house due to storms.
For context our internet is through copper phone line at the min & we get a speed of around 3mb !
https://www.outdoorrouter.com/produ...r/outdoor-4g-lte-router/uk-4g-outdoor-router/I recommend this outdoor router with poe (power over ethernet) capability then. We install these in situations like yours . Not cheap but cheaper than solar/batteries etc as it's an all in one solution by using a regular outdoor LAN cable for power. Just pop a cheap WiFi router on your end at the house. No need to "create" power at the router end as long as it's not over 100 metres away. 100 metres is maximum run for poe. The router is very powerful and rugged and the antennas will give you much stronger reception. Just pop it on a pole where you get 4g reception. The WIFI coverage on them is also awesome so you would have WiFi around the garden/outdoor area.

Last edited:
Look at MikroTik LHGs, a parabolic LTE modem and dish in one with power over ethernet. Can aim it at your strongest cell tower. I have two of them, combined I get about 200mb down and 70mb up. Cell tower is about 20 miles away.
IMG_0025.jpeg

https://www.outdoorrouter.com/produ...r/outdoor-4g-lte-router/uk-4g-outdoor-router/I recommend this outdoor router with poe (power over ethernet) capability then. We install these in situations like yours . Not cheap but cheaper than solar/batteries etc as it's an all in one solution by using a regular outdoor LAN cable for power. Just pop a cheap WiFi router on your end at the house. No need to "create" power at the router end as long as it's not over 100 metres away. 100 metres is maximum run for poe. The router is very powerful and rugged and the antennas will give you much stronger reception. Just pop it on a pole where you get 4g reception. The WIFI coverage on them is also awesome so you would have WiFi around the garden/outdoor area.
Different brand, but this is the solution that I use for internet. PoE LTE router/antenna mounted on the side of the house. It's literally pointed slightly upward into the woods and there's a hill between it and the tower. I get ~38 down and ~8 up. The provider is a small regional company. They came out and tested the location before installing.

For general cell phone, I have an antenna on the roof that feeds into a https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/ booster with an indoor antenna. This is a different cell company (ATT) and tower (farther away) than what I have for internet. It's usable, but not great. I don't get speeds near what the other system does.

The OP has 4g internet 50 metres from his property. Don't confuse him even more. It's a simple solution !!

Thanks for the help, really appreciated 👍

Back