diy solar

diy solar

PlayStation 4 HDMI Port Repair Fail. Any advice?

that_yeti_tech

Summary of events: I was trying to replace the hdmi port on my sister's PlayStation 4. For some reason no matter what I tried I couldn’t get the solder to melt. I won’t list everything I tried, but I spent 3 hours working on it. Eventually I decided to use my heat gun and soldering iron at the same. I held a tool in each hand while my sister held the port with pliers. She forgot I told her to be gentle and pulled too hard. Solder pads and leads got torn off the board.

I have no idea if this is fixable. I’m open to any suggestions at all because my sister is pretty upset, and I’m hoping to help her not waste the $80 she spent on the console.

Here’s pictures of the damage:

Attachments

• IMG_2290.jpeg
    IMG_2290.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2291.jpeg
    IMG_2291.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 2
Summary of events: I was trying to replace the hdmi port on my sister's PlayStation 4. For some reason no matter what I tried I couldn’t get the solder to melt. I won’t list everything I tried, but I spent 3 hours working on it. Eventually I decided to use my heat gun and soldering iron at the same. I held a tool in each hand while my sister held the port with pliers. She forgot I told her to be gentle and pulled too hard. Solder pads and leads got torn off the board.

I have no idea if this is fixable. I’m open to any suggestions at all because my sister is pretty upset, and I’m hoping to help her not waste the $80 she spent on the console.

Here’s pictures of the damage:
Have you watched this?

Or this?

The nice work stations he is using in first one are expensive unless you do that type of work all the time. Takes Steady hands.

The second video is more at home. The damage to the port can be seen from visual inspection according to video.

One video shows him filling mount holes back up with solder. Then he cleans pads - adds new solder back with plenty of paste flux. The one guy states is a very common problem and says the boards are super thick - tough.

Have you watched this?

Or this?

The nice work stations he is using in first one are expensive unless you do that type of work all the time. Takes Steady hands.

The second video is more at home. The damage to the port can be seen from visual inspection according to video.

One video shows him filling mount holes back up with solder. Then he cleans pads - adds new solder back with plenty of paste flux. The one guy states is a very common problem and says the boards are super thick - tough.
I did watch a video of someone doing the repair before I started. He used a heat gun after reflowing the solder with an iron. I did the same thing. I had my heat gun at the same temperature, higher at one point too, and it still wouldn’t melt. The solder I added melted fine, but for some reason the original solder wouldn't budge. I’ve never had that severe of a problem with solder before. I’ve ripped off solder pads before and was able to bypass those contacts, but so many are destroyed here :/
Also thank you very much I’ll definitely check those out!

Reactions: D71
Back