diy solar

diy solar

Another Eve 230Ah purchase from Docan

Horsefly

Solar Wizard
TL;DR - I made my second purchase from Jenny Wu of Docan, and I'm very happy with the purchase. I still highly recommend Docan and Jenny.

On the morning of Tuesday, 25-Jun, I contacted Jenny Wu from Docan to get a quote for 8 230Ah cells. She replied almost immediately with a quote for $108 per cell from the USA warehouse. After a bit more email exchanges to confirm details, I paid on Alibaba with a credit card. Using the credit card led to an extra ~5% fee from Alibaba, but I wanted the protections that come with a credit card payment. The order was placed and paid by 7:18am on Tuesday.

The two packages (4 cells each) were shipped from the warehouse in Houston around 4pm on Thursday, 27-Jun. They were scheduled for delivery on Monday, 31-Jun, but actually were delivered on the evening of Sunday, 30-Jun. At around 7pm the FedEx truck pulled up to the end of our driveway, and I saw the driver trying to balance the two 40 lb boxes in his arms. I quickly ran down the driveway to take one of the boxes from him. It would have been a shame if one or both boxes slammed into my driveway, failing in the last 70 ft of the trip.

The two boxes were packed well, and Fedex didn’t do much damage along the way from Houston to Denver. The boxes were heavy cardboard, and packing tape covered every inch. Inside, the four cells per box were encased in the same polyethylene forms that all the vendors seem to use now.
IMG_20230730_184505313.jpg
IMG_20230730_200818138_HDR.jpg
I will say that the bus bars Docan continues to provide (same as my last purchase) are not very good. Each bar is made up of two ~0.7mm thick bars, so the total thickness is about 1.4-1.5mm. The bars are plated copper (nickel, I would assume) and 20mm thick. In the past I've made and plated my own bus bars, so I may again this time.

Unpacked the cells were pristine, with no dents, scratches or bulges. Interestingly, there also was no Docan stickers - or any other stickers - on the cells. Although I don’t think it means anything, I did check and all the cells measured 3.293V or 3.294V with my Fluke. I labeled the cells 1 through 8, and scanned the data matrix codes on each. Just to pique the interest of the trolls ;) , I checked all the codes against the Ezeal test result spreadsheet that had been posted earlier in the forum, and I found all eight to be in there.

IMG_20230803_121516472_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230731_101956284_HDR.jpg

I blew the dust off my trusted Zketech EBC-A40L cell tester. I soon found out that the USB interface to the tester was no longer supported under Windows 11, so I had to use one of the Windows 10 machines I have in the house. Running the tests at 30A, I’m doing a multistep test on each cell: charging up to 3.65V until the tail current drops off, wait 2 minutes, then discharge at 30 amps until 2.5V. Each test is taking about 13.5 hours to run. We’re leaving for a long weekend before I can test them all, but here’s the results (and data matrix codes) so far:

I9TmbNXbmdX-BGsYvZrBZBc29qRtdgIVyNqPAU1jlSlH3odtNlLqO8SFtUw6Rlk3Bv6H_tdMUMr9iIoOOaAJ6uwWezNHveuM1xU-WycCBvi1QghmDWhl2F3ilMCdf91VeiNrW7Hcqc1YlZVar_B5rF4

I'll finish the testing next week. Although I don't expect any to fail spec capacity of 230Ah, I promise I will post a follow up if some of them don't.

In summary, I’m very happy with these cells. At $108 per cell (a bit under $114 with credit card fee), I can’t imagine getting better cells from one of the other sources, much less delivered in less than a week.

This is the second order I’ve done with Jenny Wu from Docan, and if I need more cells, I would contact Jenny first. I don't know if it is widely available, but if anyone wants her contact info let me know via PM. (I'm assuming I am not supposed to post it here)

This is so silly what they are doing with names Docan / Ezeal. its for $99 on ezeal: https://ezealco.com/product/lifepo4-prismatic-battery-cells/ They are grade A cells at some of the best prices online even beating 18650batterystore which was previously the price king.

Why buy it as Docan and pay sales tax , credit card fees, and a higher price vs just buying form Ezeal directly.

They are all the same company I have no idea how this is supposed to play out. Do they like the name Docan so much?

@Alkaline you sure enjoy posting stuff without doing any research. I paid no sales tax to Docan, and Ezeal would charge me shipping of about $80. I don't know because I have not checked (that's called a caveat) but I would be willing to bet that they would charge a very similar fee for credit card use, especially since they seem to push PayPal so much.

I went with Docan / Jenny because I had good luck before. I'd probably be happy using these cells for ESS even if they had slightly underperformed in capacity.

They probably can't sell the cells under the docan label because it has re-lasered qr codes so they are selling them from another company. I would go with ezeal over docan as in the end you will still be getting ezeal cells.

That or they are waiting for the heat to go down before the start moving the cells with re-lasered qr codes again.

They probably can't sell the cells under the docan label because it has re-lasered qr codes so they are selling them from another company.
That literally makes no sense. I got the cells that were on the Ezeal test report from Docan. The data matrix (it's not a QR code, by the way) matches.

Makes perfect sense look at Docan's tactics:

One Docan buyer gets legit cells (which are ezeal cells):

Mean while another Docan buyer gets fraud cells (which are not ezeal cells):

Sorry about the comment....

Last edited:
I'm joining the party late. I was all set to pull the trigger with Jenny Wu for 8x280 EVE cells but at the last second switched and went with the CATL auto Grade A cells from batteryhookup. Decided to go with a US company that I have done a number of previous purchases and felt they are honestly representing the CATL cells as true automotive Grade A as the spec indicates 3C discharge. Plus the number of recent questionable dealings with Docan swayed me away.

Yeah that is the one that David Poz broke down... sorry but so much work and hardly any benefit and aren't those used packs? They may have been grade A at one time as that looks like an official CATL pack.

DIY comes in all flavors. What some call work, some call fun. I love researching and learning new subjects like electricity, physics, batteries, new tech, etc., and love being hands-on watching what I learned be applied to sourcing materials and products and engineering systems like a full off-grid solar powered RV.

As stated in the product description and watching Poz video, this is minimal work if bought in broken down cells. They are not new as stated in the ad. The big advantage is they are Grade A and spec at 3C discharge which all cells expect authentic EV can deliver. They are true Grade A CATL cells for $125 a piece.

Hey at least they are using proper labels when shipping now. Wasn’t long ago they had no labels.

Back