diy solar

diy solar

New Docan 230Ah EVE Cells

I have received 32 EVE 230 Ah cells from Docan's Houston TX stock and 31 look pristine. They all measure 3.293 volts out of the box.
Number 32 is only reading 3.286 volts and also appears to have a defective weld on one side of the negative terminal. The square tab with the stud has a stepped down lip that gets welded, and it looks like this one was misaligned in the jig so the weld landed on the lip instead of the joint between the lip and top of the cell. I have emailed Docan and will be posting about the response.

I have mixed feelings about this new stud welding method. The surface area for the bus bar is large and flat. The square tab is only welded on 2 sides and if you hold it up to the light and squint just right, you can see the slimmest of a gap. I think this will be fine for most solar storage applications that typically have a lower C rate, and is probably more robust than I'm giving it credit for.

The cells themselves are mostly flat with a slight concave depression between the electrodes. It's only noticeable using a straightedge and will probably fill out with a full charge.

It's nice to see they are simply attaching a Docan label instead of the fake IR test sticker they used to apply. This seems more honest to me. The supplied bus bars are the thin layered ones and I actually prefer these to the thick stock.

I don't have the equipment to do a proper capacity test and for me, it really doesn't matter. I already have 2 batteries made from these cells and expect this batch to be the same. With a combined capacity of 230ah x 4, a few amp hours one way or the other isn't going to be much of a percentage of the total system capacity.

I would be 100% happy with this purchase if it weren't for the one defective weld, and how Docan deals with that will be a critical to my recommending these cells and Docan.

Stay tuned....View attachment 153691View attachment 153692View attachment 153693View attachment 153694View attachment 153695View attachment 153696View attachment 153697View attachment 153698View attachment 153699

Attachments

• EVE 230AH spec data.pdf
    750.5 KB · Views: 14
I really do think highly of Amy Wan of Shenzhen Luyuan. I bought a batch of 280Ah Eves in 2021, and they were great. The only problem was shipping from China. The shipment was delayed quite a bit from what she had estimated, and at one point it seemed the logistics company just quit giving her the time of day. She was expressing extreme frustration with them, and the guy I was building a system for got so frustrated he told me to go ahead and order from someone with USA stock. He was willing to eat the lost cost of the cells from Amy, but I was clearly going to lose some credibility. Luckily things broke loose just before I placed an order with Docan and the cells arrived.

The logistics company - coordinating the shipment from China to a port in the US and then reshipping via UPS or FedEx - has no skin in the game. They know that both Amy and I can complain about how long it takes or how beaten up the packages are, and they will deflect and leave us to blame each other. Granted this was when the entire shipping "machine" was completely broken.

So while I highly recommend Amy, I don't think I'll ever buy from Chinese stock again, just because of the jokers between them and me. If a company has a US warehouse or it is a US company who buys from China, the great unknown of the logistics between China and the US is bore by someone else, not me.
On that time there where many problems in transport all over the world,covid 19 you know, but that problem is solved and i order from Docan 104 cells and 3 months later i got them brand new,no scratch perfect
Amy Zheng is easy to contact and very fast response and no lies or delays

I have received 32 EVE 230 Ah cells from Docan's Houston TX stock and 31 look pristine. They all measure 3.293 volts out of the box.
Number 32 is only reading 3.286 volts and also appears to have a defective weld on one side of the negative terminal. The square tab with the stud has a stepped down lip that gets welded, and it looks like this one was misaligned in the jig so the weld landed on the lip instead of the joint between the lip and top of the cell. I have emailed Docan and will be posting about the response.

I have mixed feelings about this new stud welding method. The surface area for the bus bar is large and flat. The square tab is only welded on 2 sides and if you hold it up to the light and squint just right, you can see the slimmest of a gap. I think this will be fine for most solar storage applications that typically have a lower C rate, and is probably more robust than I'm giving it credit for.

The cells themselves are mostly flat with a slight concave depression between the electrodes. It's only noticeable using a straightedge and will probably fill out with a full charge.

It's nice to see they are simply attaching a Docan label instead of the fake IR test sticker they used to apply. This seems more honest to me. The supplied bus bars are the thin layered ones and I actually prefer these to the thick stock.

I don't have the equipment to do a proper capacity test and for me, it really doesn't matter. I already have 2 batteries made from these cells and expect this batch to be the same. With a combined capacity of 230ah x 4, a few amp hours one way or the other isn't going to be much of a percentage of the total system capacity.

I would be 100% happy with this purchase if it weren't for the one defective weld, and how Docan deals with that will be a critical to my recommending these cells and Docan.

Stay tuned....View attachment 153691View attachment 153692View attachment 153693View attachment 153694View attachment 153695View attachment 153696View attachment 153697View attachment 153698View attachment 153699
How did you purchase these to get them from Houston stock?

How did you purchase these to get them from Houston stock?

Interesting their price per cell of the 304ah Grade A is more than the 99 per cell a Docan Power "rep" is attempting to sell me (claims to also come from Houston Stock) and no pick up option?

What’s the name of the rep?

How are you communicating, just Facebook?

What’s the name of the rep?

How are you communicating, just Facebook?
Zhang on FB Marketplace.

But I think they live in China. They are confusing because sounds like they would ship from Houston warehouse but then says will ship from China.

I'm probably done talking with them, I've learned more and would probably just order from Ezeal

Zhang on FB Marketplace.

But I think they live in China. They are confusing because sounds like they would ship from Houston warehouse but then says will ship from China.

I'm probably done talking with them, I've learned more and would probably just order from Ezeal
Which is the same company

Zhang on FB Marketplace.

Didn't you just say you ordered form 18650batterystore???

Didn't you just say you ordered form 18650batterystore???
Yes, I have. And I made that post before I had that reassuring conversation with them. I was contemplating canceling my order with them and going local but after that conversation I'm just going to stick with the shipping fees cuz they made me feel confident.

Next time I might just go local to experiment with them and compare experiences.

Welp, just ordered 66 (two extra) of the Eve 230s from 18650batterystore. This will be added to my system that will have eight CALB 230 AH batteries (five currently operating) and should top me up. My REC BMS setup will handle 14 slave units, but I am out of breaker space in my combiner box/bus bar, and there’s not really room for any more than that in my power shed.

I thought really hard with going with more CALBs (who I get from Dexter), but at under half the price (granted CC is running free shipping over X amount), I just couldn’t do it. Worse comes to worse, I have eight batteries I can absolutely depend on and these four that SHOULD be ok.

If I were doing something more than simple 16S batteries (i.e. 3P16S), I would have definitely went with the CALB (or for a roll your own electric vehicle).

Note, my opinions on various cells are based almost entirely of reading years worth of info on this forum and a few others…no real experience with various other manufactures and sellers than putting together those CALB cells along with the SMA and REC system.

Last edited:
Back