diy solar

diy solar

Please Could double check this for me Victron RS 450/100

sarahstaar

Would be really grateful if I could get somebody to double check this with me and confirm I've got my calculations correct.

Here is the kit I'm using,

1 X Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100

20 X TRINASOLAR - SOLAR PANEL 425 Watt 24V

The panels will be mounted on a south facing roof with absolutely no shading.

I'm planning on installing two strings of solar panels.

10 panels per string in parallel.

Victron charge controller
450v 100a

Solar panels each
425 watts
42 volts

Solar panels 10 panels in series
4250 watts 11 amps when hot / 4700 watts 10 amps when cold
420 volts

Max amps when cold = 11
Normal amps when hot = 10

The panels will be 45m from charge controller which I don't think will be a problem at 420volts.

I found a good deal on solar cable which is 4 mm² which I think is more than enough.

Do you think this will be okay?

Have I got my calculations correct?

Would be really grateful if I could get somebody to double check this with me and confirm I've got my calculations correct.

Here is the kit I'm using,

1 X Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100

20 X TRINASOLAR - SOLAR PANEL 425 Watt 24V

The panels will be mounted on a south facing roof with absolutely no shading.

I'm planning on installing two strings of solar panels.

10 panels per string in parallel.

Victron charge controller
450v 100a

Solar panels each
425 watts
42 volts

Solar panels 10 panels in series
4250 watts 11 amps when hot / 4700 watts 10 amps when cold
420 volts

Max amps when cold = 11
Normal amps when hot = 10

The panels will be 45m from charge controller which I don't think will be a problem at 420volts.

I found a good deal on solar cable which is 4 mm² which I think is more than enough.

Do you think this will be okay?

Have I got my calculations correct?
You are under estimating your voltage and assume this is a typo, "TRINASOLAR - SOLAR PANEL 425 Watt /24V"

You will need an additional SCC.

450/100 will top out at 4,000 watts per mppt or 5,770 watts total.

Edit corrected numbers for mppts.

Last edited:
This is why you don't crosspost.

Where are you getting the info from if I may ask
It's possible that Victron operates differently but why would you exceed 5,200 watts on a SCC with 2 mppts that's limited to 100 amps charging?

Edit corrected data sheet
Screenshot_20231024_223052_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Last edited:
It's possible that Victron operates differently but why would you exceed 5,200 watts on a SCC with 2 mppts that's limited to 100 amps charging?
View attachment 174013
That's interesting. Do you mind sharing the link of where you got these specs?

The one I downloaded from signature solar website says one input can handle up to 4000w, which would be about 70a. Now both inputs together are limited to 100a or 5760w but I don't see where it specifically says each input is limited to 2500w or 50a

Screenshot_20231024-211028.png

Now both inputs together are limited to 100a or 5760w but I don't see where it specifically says each input is limited to 2500w or 50a
View attachment 174018
Edit, bad data from outdated pdf.

My statement was based on the OP desire to run two strings for a total of 8,400 peak watts...that's alot of over paneling.

Last edited:
from the duplicate thread:

Yep. 50V panels 8S or 7S maximum depending on your historical low temperatures.

On each tracker: 8S if it never gets below -6°C, 7S if it does.
5S2P on each tracker understanding that you're slightly over the Isc limit of 20A. Should be fine, but if you accidentally reverse polarity, you'll pop the controller, and it can't protect against it.

For the calculator:

8S = 336V/10A
7S = 294V/10A
5S = 210V/18A

Select wire size and ONE WAY distance.

Basically 14-16 panels depending on temps and be a little over-paneled.

or 5S2P x2 and be over-paneled while slightly exceeding the PV input current limit.

I would personally take this risk as it's rarethe panels will ever deliver >10A Isc.

There can be more than one limitation.

5760W Max total combined.
4000W max per MPPT.
18A max PV input current.
450V max Voc

etc.

They are not limited to 50A per tracker, but one might infer that from having 2 trackers on a 100A unit.
It's very confusing.

It's very confusing.

Nah! It's about blind faith and acceptance.

Haven't you figured out this is a religion? :p

Seriously though, one has to avoid making inappropriate connections. Each parameter is independent of the other. The ultimate limits exist at the edges of the envelope defined by the individual parameters. One rating doesn't allow another rating to be exceeded.

It's like your auto warranty - 3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first. You can damn well bet the warranty will be denied at 16 months and 42K miles!

FWIW, always get datasheets from Victron from their website. They tend to get updated fairly regularly, and 3rd party sites may not be current.

Nah! It's about blind faith and acceptance.

Haven't you figured out this is a religion? :p

Seriously though, one has to avoid making inappropriate connections. Each parameter is independent of the other. The ultimate limits exist at the edges of the envelope defined by the individual parameters. One rating doesn't allow another rating to be exceeded.

It's like your auto warranty - 3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first. You can damn well bet the warranty will be denied at 16 months and 42K miles!

FWIW, always get datasheets from Victron from their website. They tend to get updated fairly regularly, and 3rd party sites may not be current.
I was looking at the 450/200 but I also read that each mppt is 50a max. I wanted to do 2 strings of 11 panels each, with 36.8 voc. At 50a each I would be severely limiting my output.

But, if each tracker is 4000w then I can do three strings of 11 panels each and not lose any power.

Im not ready to plunk down $2k on ambiguous specs and risk it not working as expected so I'm just going to stay away and look at the midnite barcelona which unambiguously states 100a per mppt.

Maybe @Adam De Lay has more info

Pg 6 says 20 amp for reverse polarity and 30 amps max but won't provide reverse polarity protection.

Thanks! I knew I had a reason I was okay with it. Forgot about that bit in the manual.

I was looking at the 450/200 but I also read that each mppt is 50a max.

Where?

I wanted to do 2 strings of 11 panels each, with 36.8 voc. At 50a each I would be severely limiting my output.

And it never gets below freezing where you are, right? If you do see below freezing, 10S

But, if each tracker is 4000w then I can do three strings of 11 panels each and not lose any power.

Provided each string isn't over 3840, and, again, I suspect 11S is too much.

Im not ready to plunk down $2k on ambiguous specs and risk it not working as expected so I'm just going to stay away and look at the midnite barcelona which unambiguously states 100a per mppt.

The specs aren't ambiguous at all. 4000W max per tracker. 11,520W total. 450 Max Voc and 18A max PV input current (what it can draw from the PV), 20A Isc max for reverse polarity protection and 30A absolute max.

You "read somewhere" each tracker is 50A - sounds like you are making it ambiguous. :)

Maybe @Adam De Lay has more info

He has a 450/100.

Here on this forum.I can see how it can be inferred from the specs.
And it never gets below freezing where you are, right? If you do see below freezing, 10S

Nope never. I've seen 4f but 11s at 404v leaves enough headroom for 4f
Provided each string isn't over 3840, and, again, I suspect 11S is too much.

Where does the 3840 number come from? Edit-nevermind- 11520/3
The specs aren't ambiguous at all. 4000W max per tracker. 11,520W total. 450 Max Voc and 18A max PV input current (what it can draw from the PV), 20A Isc max for reverse polarity protection and 30A absolute max.

You "read somewhere" each tracker is 50A - sounds like you are making it ambiguous. :)
Possibly
He has a 450/100.
Right. I would want to know if he has more than 50a charging from any one tracker.

Specs support a 70amp limit per tracker or 100 amps total. So 70/30, 60/40 or 50/50
Well darn, I think you're right.
I just found the victron calculator and it looks like each mppt can output up to 80a but the total output is off course limited to 100a.

It also says only 10s is possible

Screenshot_20231024-222717.png

Back