diy solar

diy solar

Please help a newbie figure out if I have this setup right

I would like to suggest an optimization on your lynx distributor idea.
This video shows how to convert the less expensive lynx power-in to use fuses.
I suggest convert 3 of the 4 positions to be fused.
Hook up the battery to the un-fused position because it has a class-t fuse.
Leave the negative backplane connection covered with its insulated cover.
You can use the positive backplane to connect your shunt power connector, make sure that connection has an inline fuse.

This way you minimize the chance of a short across the backplane.

Smooth if you read this I am trying to make sure I understand you're recommendations of cable size. You mean 4 AWG not 4/0 AWG right?

Just as I delve more in to this I keep reading posts on here were people are using anything up to 4/0 to connect batteries with a similar configuration to mine 4 liFepo4 12v 100ah Expertpower configured 2s2p.

You also said 4AWG to inverter from bus bars for 1 1500W inverter. However I have now gone with a 3000w inverter, so does this 4 AWG hold? If not what should I go to (I have some 1/0 wire). Also I assume I have to up the fuse from 150A?

Once again thanks for the help, so many different opinions around its very confusing.

Smooth if you read this I am trying to make sure I understand you're recommendations of cable size. You mean 4 AWG not 4/0 AWG right?

Just as I delve more in to this I keep reading posts on here were people are using anything up to 4/0 to connect batteries with a similar configuration to mine 4 liFepo4 12v 100ah Expertpower configured 2s2p.

You also said 4AWG to inverter from bus bars for 1 1500W inverter. However I have now gone with a 3000w inverter, so does this 4 AWG hold? If not what should I go to (I have some 1/0 wire). Also I assume I have to up the fuse from 150A?

Once again thanks for the help, so many different opinions around its very confusing.
Here is the math for a 3000 watt inverter at 24 volts.
3000 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 20 volts low cutoff = 176.470588235 service amps
176.470588235 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 220.588235294 fault amps
220 fault amps requires 1/0 awg and a 250 amp fuse.

Service amps are 80% of fault amps
4 awg is ~25mm2 and is good for 150 fault amps
2 awg is ~35mm2 and is good for 200 fault amps
1/0 awg is ~50mm2 and is good for 250 fault amps
2/0 awg is ~70mm2 and is good for 300 fault amps
4/0 awg is ~120mm and is good for 400 fault amps

Last edited:
Believe it or not I have a PH.D! (chemistry) but this stuff get confusing with so many parts to consider. I then look at posts and the advice seems all over the place.

1. So 1/0 wire on all battery connections, yes?
2. This means the t fuse from pos battery to bus bar now has to be 250 amps, right?
3. 1/0 from inverter to bus bar (lynx distributor) with a 250 amp fuse.

Once again I really appreciate the help.

All the other wiring stays the same though.

I then look at posts and the advice seems all over the place.
That happens.
If my advice is bad I've given thousands of people a bum steer. :whistle:
1. So 1/0 wire on all battery connections, yes?
Yes.
2. This means the t fuse from pos battery to bus bar now has to be 250 amps, right?
Yes.
3. 1/0 from inverter to bus bar (lynx distributor) with a 250 amp fuse.
Yes.

Lithium Iron Phosphate

Polonium is deadly, it has been used by Putin to kill his opponents via acute radiation poisoning.

Lithium Iron Phosphate
That's a little different than what i asked. I know LiFePO4.

Polonium is deadly, it has been used by Putin to kill his opponents via acute radiation poisoning.
Yes, but what would you call LiFePo4 (as written, not intended)?
Or is this "technically" correct regardless of the use of Po in place of PO ?

Ah sorry see what you mean. The Phosphate "ion" PO4 is made up of one atom of Phosphorous and 4 atoms of oxygen. The PO is not polonium, thank god!

Smooth

One other question which I can't fathom, why do inverter manufacturers send such small gauge wire for the connections? my 3000w comes with 21mm Square wire which I believe is AWG 5.

I don't get this.

Smooth

One other question which I can't fathom, why do inverter manufacturers send such small gauge wire for the connections? my 3000w comes with 21mm Square wire which I believe is AWG 5.

I don't get this.
I'm guessing you bought a cheap inverter from amazon or aliX, confirm?

Back