diy solar

diy solar

Newbie to the forum please be gentle

DC disconnect switches.
Rated 450V, and you measured 435V.

I might want a 600V switch especially if installing for someone else, but for my own place I'd probably turn it on and use it.

Would only exceed 450V on a cold day. Normally when switch turned off, it has Voc on PV side, and Vmp on capacitors of inverter, so not breaking much voltage. (If there was a short circuit, that is when it would see Voc across it, 435 under today's conditions up to maybe 525 or 550V in very cold weather.)

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply it is a grid tied setup and has a battery, I am currently running a Samsung ess all in one please see pic attached, this will be going soon and replaced with a growatt sph6000 and 2 growatt batteries, solar panels spec is in the second pic

If the existing system is grid tied as you said, do you think you should be doing this by yourself? Grid tied systems will need new permits and inspection and installed by a licensed person especially if you are replacing main components like the charge controller/inverter. Even Will Prowse (owner of this forum) isn't doing grid tied by himself.

Another silly question when it say 550v max that is per string yes

Yes.

If the existing system is grid tied as you said, do you think you should be doing this by yourself? Grid tied systems will need new permits and inspection and installed by a licensed person especially if you are replacing main components like the charge controller/inverter. Even Will Prowse (owner of this forum) isn't doing grid tied by himself.

New panels on existing inverter, utility probably won't notice.

Different inverter, they could notice export greater than agreement allows.
In California, utility does allow up to 1kW or 10% additional, whichever is greater.
Using CT at meter entrance for limited export would be a way to supply additional power to house but avoid exporting more than allowed.

Yes, we're supposed to get permits and approvals for everything we do, except a few minor items.

I use a lot of electricity with very large koi pond a marine fish tank, I do not expect to send much back to the grid

Back