diy solar

diy solar

DIY removal

spacebicuit

My first post please be gentle :)

I have a 7 solar panels mounted on my roof which I need to remove and locate due to some building work which will reconfigure my roof from a pitched elevation to a flat roof. What consideration do I need to make if I want to remove them myself.

They are physically anchored to the roof which I can take of no problem, but in terms of the electric side of things, if i recall correctly there is an isolator switch by the inverter in my loft space. If I switch that off is it safe to proceed with the disconnection of the wires from the solar panels?

Am I missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

The panel leads are always energized if in the sun. Ideally cover them with cardboard or a tarp before disconnecting and reconnecting. If they are bifacials if more difficult. Alternatively do it at night.

If I switch that off is it safe to proceed with the disconnection of the wires from the solar panels?
Hello Spacebicuit,

If you switch the panels off, you can disconnect the wires safely, if you don't have a switch or are unsure, disconnect one of the wires at night. Keep the connectors clean while moving and storing. You can simply put them in a plastic bag if they are already clean and dry.

Good luck with the renovations.

Welcome. With only 7, covering with taped on cardboard seems easy. At night on a roof has some risks. And fall protection is cheap. $100 (US) harness and rope at the hardware store.

You may want to first identify how they are connected and get that special tool if needed.

They are probably wired in series so each one adds to the voltage. I would shut off the isolator then find the wiring that connects panel 3 to 4. That will open the circuit cutting the voltage in half making the rest safer to work on.

I found the below from NAZ.
1713264322475.png

if i recall correctly there is an isolator switch by the inverter in my loft space. If I switch that off is it safe to proceed with the disconnection of the wires from the solar panels?
Yes, the isolator switch to isolate will be the DC one, hopefully marked "panels" or "PV". Isolate that to prevent any current from flowing through the PV circuit.

Looks like @OzSolar has written what I was about to, as I am typing :) ... the connectors joining the panels together are 99% likely to be MC4 connectors and you will need a little plastic tool that pushes in two clips to allow the male and female connectors to be separated from each other. Something like this one, which has two sets of pointy bits, so you can either use it end-on or at right angles depending on access to the connector...

I didn’t know there was a tool. Fingernails work as well. One side then the other. Or cut off the MC4 connectors and redo them all with the same brand or with butt connectors.

Last edited:
I noticed when installing my recent JA 550 PV panels these come with a slightly different style MC-4 connector and the standard PV release-tool doesn't fit it! -Erggg :mad::mad:, they make this connector in a way that prevents using your fingers to release the clips. I resorted to poking two small blade screwdrivers in to release the darn clips. - Nothing like having "standardization" so we can deviate from the standard and make life hard more interesting...while balancing on a pitched roof. Safety First.

I didn’t know there was a took. Fingernails work as well. One side then the other. Or cut off the MC4 connectors and redo them all with the same brand or with butt connectors.
Some of the mc4 connectors have the latches covered in a way that fingernails don't work or are very difficult to use. Can use two small screwdrivers in a pinch but the dedicated tool is like magic.

Some of the mc4 connectors have the latches covered in a way that fingernails don't work or are very difficult to use. Can use two small screwdrivers in a pinch but the dedicated tool is like magic.
I have just six of the JA 550's and the female MC-4 's on those six PV panels are the only 'odd-ball' ones that need the small screwdriver trick to open them, so now that these are installed and running I don't need yet another specialty tool just for six panel (of 28) I will live with it.

Back