diy solar

diy solar

Please help me ! Getting no charge please help

Ok, you measured voltage, how about short-circuit amps, not connected to the controller? If not what you expect, maybe a bad diode in the panel?

If your multimeter can measure the short circuit amps, you can do that in the trailer. My multimeter can measure 10 amps. When the panels are in the sun and the leads are not connected to anything, you can measure amps across the leads. Just be sure not to exceed the amps of the multimeter, or the DMM fuse will blow.

Also, depending on planes voltage, you can have an arc. My panels at 52 volts and three amps arced about a 1/4 of an inch when I tried the amp test.

You can do this amp test by disconnecting the wires of the SCC. Just get the wires a bit away from the SCC and don’t short the wires together during the process. I shut my circuit breaker off for the panels when I move the wire.

The amp test is fairly quick.

Screenshot_20210724-215039_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20210724-215039_Amazon Shopping.jpg
If your multimeter can measure the short circuit amps, you can do that in the trailer. My multimeter can measure 10 amps. When the panels are in the sun and the leads are not connected to anything, you can measure amps across the leads. Just be sure not to exceed the amps of the multimeter, or the DMM fuse will blow.

Also, depending on planes voltage, you can have an arc. My panels at 52 volts and three amps arced about a 1/4 of an inch when I tried the amp test.

You can do this amp test by disconnecting the wires of the SCC. Just get the wires a bit away from the SCC and don’t short the wires together during the process. I shut my circuit breaker off for the panels when I move the wire.

The amp test is fairly quick.
Just added two pics of what I have got
Can I do an amp test in van do you think?
I'm not novice or close to expert need it put simply as not 100% certain what to do and check but live in the sticks and cant get help

Ok if sunny I'll do that tommorow
And if that's ok then most likely the leads?

If it passes that amps test, then its less likely a wiring problem. Regardless of the result, I would still inspect the wiring real good. This could be an intermittent problem,

Ok been on roof
Checked all wiring and seems all ok
But put meter on plugs coming from panel
On roof of van
Got voltage but no amps at all
Shown in pics
Any ideas pleeeeeease!!!20210725_071856.jpg20210725_071807.jpg

I'm not seeing much sun. Is it overcast? I don't know how to judge the proper amp output of a shaded panel but i know the output will not be anywhere near full overhead sun.

It is zero
Even on sunny day
Dies it look like water has got in?
Less than 2 years old

Dies it look like water has got in?
Yes but i have some that look a little like that too but no problems (yet?). You're getting decent voltage but not familiar with troubleshooting them for no amps. I've never had a panel fail so lacking in that area.
Can you open the panel's plastic compartment that the cables come out of? If you post a pic maybe someone who has messed inside of there will be able to provide something useful.

Sorry. Thats all i got.

If you can open that compartment on the back of the panel then you can check the resistance from each end of the cable and the terminal inside of the compartment to see if either one of the cable shows high resistance or not.

If you can open that compartment on the back of the panel then you can check the resistance from each end of the cable and the terminal inside of the compartment to see if either one of the cable shows high resistance or not.
How do I put meter across that to check please
Nice and simple!

Put meter across diode to check and meter buzzed so guess ok
However if I put it across the plug ends it doesnt
Should it make a continuous circuit and buzz meter?
At my wits end here!!!!

Top right cable solder joint is a likely suspect. It's a dull gray color verses the other 3 solder connections that are bright and shiny.
You can measure the cable resistance from the diode cathode ( side with the gray band) to the far end of its cable. Or just re-flow the dirty solder joint, being sure adding more rosen core solder.

Back