diy solar

diy solar

Please Needing Help Quick

I didn’t realize I had run them down I was going off the Inverter screen. My mistake new setup for me. It displayed full charge I don’t know why that’s an issue for another day I just wanna be able to have AC input working
All of the devices have to get synced before you can trust their readings. No one tells you that. Just one of the fun trap bear traps waiting for the newbies and those of us with short term memories.

I also have the same batteries. Different inverter.
I'm still puzzled by the generator shutting down even if the batteries won't accept a charge.

I would definitely do a reset. Take all but 1 battery offline and work with only 1 battery at a time to eliminate as much as possible. Double/triple check polarity and connections.

Failing all of that, I'd try bonding the generator. It's big enough it should run charging 1 battery or stay at idle if the batteries aren't accepting a charge from the MPP.

My 2 cents is that it's tied to your BMS activating or already being activated and that you would do yourself a favor by getting them charged up before you try other other things.

In a properly functioning system I would not expect that the batteries could somehow cause an upstream GFCI breaker to trip.

In a properly functioning system I would not expect that the batteries could somehow cause an upstream GFCI breaker to trip.
Neither would I.
Unless the battery is shutting down the inverter and something about the inverter shutting down is tripping the generator GFCI.

Great link I’m glad I’m not alone in this fight other people are struggling with this issue to seems like there is some strange ideas on that link with some possible safety concerns I’m not too sure if I should try them??? Like pulling the neutral stud out of the plug?

Yes first time.
And I have 18 250w panels but I don’t have my rack built yet so I was just using 4 panels in series for now. First turn on for the system was last night. Today was cloudy. I know I need more PV but it’s gonna take a week. Was hoping to get by with charging battery with generator

Was that you I saw at San tan solar for their event on Saturday :D ???

I have the same panels, and same battery as you.
I'm leaning towards the inverter doesn't like the generator.

UPDATE: It “Appears” to be working!!! Took some advise from other post that was linked above. Grabbed my vise grips and ripped off the ground post on the AC in cord where it plugs into Generator. It now works. Provides power to the MPP unit and then charged batteries. GCFI is not tripping because it can’t. Don’t worry generator had separate 15a breaker still and all in one unit has many safety features too. Yay. Screw GCFI oulets. Jk ;)

(y)

Glad you have it working for now.
But that would bug me forever until I found out why it was tripping the GCFI with a grounded plug. Something is leaking to ground or a bad GCFI.

UPDATE: It “Appears” to be working!!! Took some advise from other post that was linked above. Grabbed my vise grips and ripped off the ground post on the AC in cord where it plugs into Generator. It now works. Provides power to the MPP unit and then charged batteries. GCFI is not tripping because it can’t. Don’t worry generator had separate 15a breaker still and all in one unit has many safety features too. Yay. Screw GCFI oulets. Jk ;)
So, the problem is in the inverter. I'm guessing that the AC bus neutral and the DC buss negative, are connected internally. And somehow, this is sending a small current back through the ground. Or possibly the GFCI protection circuit, in the inverter. Is doing it.

So, the problem is in the inverter. I'm guessing that the AC bus neutral and the DC buss negative, are connected internally. And somehow, this is sending a small current back through the ground. Or possibly the GFCI protection circuit, in the inverter. Is doing it.
Yes I checked this with my multimeter set on the highest setting and it’s barely readable but it’s there. Confirmed

Harmless??

Back