diy solar

diy solar

Please Welcome Oompa and Loompa! Recycling battery packs!

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I got a couple used packs off a fellow member here to play with and started today. First thing I did was check the pinouts on the BMS to be safe and figure out voltage states...

Raw Batts.jpeg Something Wrong.jpg

Uh oh! The jack that came with the packs is wired BACKWARDS from the JBD jack, and is the wrong shape. So I started pulling the pins out of the plastic jacks to change over... aaaand ripped a wire out of a pin. Grrrr..... :cautious:

So after using some really tiny forceps and a tiny screwdriver I got the first wire out past all the glue and got the old strands out. Turns out the pin is different too and won't slide into the JBD connection block. Grrrrrrrrrr...... ?

So time to break out the butt splices I guess!

Stupid Plugs.jpg

Remember, I'm doing 2 battery packs here, so about a zillion hours and 11 butt splices later I triple check my plug and everything is in the right order finally. Whew! :LOL: Now I can lop off the XT60 connectors and butt splice in some 8awg cables and heat shrink it all pretty...

Crimping 1.jpg

Finally! All put together twice (remember, 2 battery packs) and threw them on the DC power supply at 14.5v to sit and think about what they've done.

Charging 2.jpg

Tomorrow afternoon I'll run my capacity tester on each one separately and finish programming the BMS. Unfortunately, like all the Siriko JBD's I've gotten, the Overkill app refuses to talk to them so I have to be quick on the Xiongxiang app to decipher between Oompa and Loompa.

Eventually these will end up in a tool box with a 600w PSW inverter, a 40a El-Cheapo MPPT, a 120mm cooling fan (wired to the inverter fan ports hopefully), and various 12v based outlets/USB/shunt/breakers/fuses/etcetera etcetera. The next challenge is finding the right toolbox. Struck out at Ace and Home Depot today, I'll check Harbor Freight and Lowes tomorrow.

More updates to follow!

BTW, if anyone knows a way to convert that capacity tester to Engrish, please let me know?

Back