diy solar

diy solar

Pluging solar generator in vs gas gen

dahluwalia

So I'm putting a backup hand cart system. I also have a generator. The gas gen can do 220v but my solar gen can not. I will need a electrician for sure but what does that set up consist s of

Generator plug in needs a transfer switch on main incoming before panel. Assuming you have enough generator to run everything.
The portable solar power should probably feed a “critical loads” subpanel also behind a transfer switch to isolate from grid power and generator.

That’s the simplest no details answer.

There are several videos that the owner of the Forum has made that can show you much of what you want to know. Look up to the top of the Forum for the link to DIY Solar Videos. If you then have a specific question it will be easier for someone to respond to.

Thanks I will look at the vids . I have watch more than a few but I think will usally is more about the build then atcully plugging it in to the house ,but I will watch thru more closely thanks

A hand cart - as in not attached to the grid at all?

Just some kind of wagon with power tools and a BBQ?

Generator plug in needs a transfer switch on main incoming before panel. Assuming you have enough generator to run everything.
The portable solar power should probably feed a “critical loads” subpanel also behind a transfer switch to isolate from grid power and generator.

That’s the simplest no details answer.
so 2 very differnt set ups , sounds very expensive i think I'm over my head again .I do have a power strip on it .Ithink if I could only do one it would be the gas generator as the cart can come inside with a bunch of extension cords

well not attached to the grid , but I hoped that if the power went out I could plug it into the house and power up a few rooms and a fridge .pull out a few panels and back that up with a generator if no sun stormy situation

A aio on a hand truck,dolley ,yes for back up to run a few thing until the power come on or until I pull out a generator but instead of extending cord i would like to plug into my house as well as a generator

so 2 very differnt set ups , sounds very expensive i think I'm over my head again
Probably are over your head, currently, but you can learn new things and are already; then you become not over your head.

So you have to have isolation from the grid when ANY local power sources like generators or solar systems are connected to your home. For multiple reasons but the major one is to not backfeed the grid and kill a line worker. It’s a necessity expense

Last edited:
1) need to isolate from grid before attaching generator or cart.
2) cannot run cart and generator at the same time.
3) when cart is attached it can only power one of the two lines in your house.
4) if you feel "over your head", best to use extension cords (get heavy duty 10 or 12 awg, depending upon the distance).

Ithink if I could only do one it would be the gas generator as the cart can come inside with a bunch of extension cords
It’s perhaps likely that the generator may want a separate “critical loads” panel, too. Either way you need a transfer switch.

Do some more reading here about backup power- it may be that a UL1741 AIO is going to be the simplest for you AND permit safe usage of the gas generator.

The portable power cart is a good idea, too, but depending on the urgency you feel about accomplishing your goal a permanent installation may be more fruitious.

Thanks I will look at the vids . I have watch more than a few but I think will usally is more about the build then atcully plugging it in to the house ,but I will watch thru more closely thanks
As others have mentioned plugging a generator or power pack into the house requires an ability to isolate grid power. There are several methods that it can be safely done and if you use an electrician I am sure he/she will set it up properly.

Do not attempt this yourself!

There are several videos that the owner of the Forum has made that can show you much of what you want to know. Look up to the top of the Forum for the link to DIY Solar Videos. If you then have a specific question it will be easier for someone to respond to.
Most vids skip the book into house part I think?
As others have mentioned plugging a generator or power pack into the house requires an ability to isolate grid power. There are several methods that it can be safely done and if you use an electrician I am sure he/she will set it up properly.

Do not attempt this yourself!
One e poo electrician want over 3k for 2 system and two plugs for solar system and then now that is over my head! I want safe simple and cheaper
T

I want safe simple and cheaper

Then skip the transfer switch and panel. Just use extension cords. Just be sure to use quality cords 14awg minimum, route them so as not to be a tripping hazard and don’t overload them. You can usually power things like a fridge, tv and fans safely from a power strip (get a quality one and skip those with pivoting plugs). Don’t try to add a microwave to the power strip unless it’sa low power one like 600W or run a higher power one at 50% power. Your generator or solar generator should have a built in circuit breaker, but it’s good practice to not depend upon it.

Which ones I'm not seeing much

Back