diy solar

diy solar

Portable Victron Power Station operational

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
I wanted to share my journey to build a portable power station. The overall specs will be a DIY 8s 24 volt battery with the JK active balancer. The current plan is to mount this on a portable dolly and have it tie into a Victron Multiplus II inverter charger.

In its current design it will be able to be charged from the grid and one or more solar panels.

As I acquire components I will post them below.

The first purchase has been the battery cells, case and BMS. I purchased these from Amy Wan at Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co., Ltd:

Last edited:
The boxes were intact without outside marks. Each of the inside corners were protected with heavy duty plastic corners.

IMG_3120.jpeg

This is one of the four boxes I received

IMG_3122.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

The external wire attachment terminals on the battery case are substantial and include a protective cover. They also include a breaker, on off switch. I have it loosely in place for now. In addition to side carrying handles there are also two fold in handles on the front.

IMG_3131.jpeg

Last edited:
The bus bars that come with this kit are listed as flexible. Must say they are substantial and better built than any I have worked with before:

IMG_3133.jpeg

The bus bars that come with this kit are listed as flexible. Must say they are substantial and better built than any I have worked with before:

View attachment 179174
Those bus bars are great. But they sometimes have too much heat shrink applied. You may have to trim it a little. To make sure that it doesn't get between the mating surfaces.

Those bus bars are great. But they sometimes have too much heat shrink applied. You may have to trim it a little. To make sure that it doesn't get between the mating surfaces.
Yes, I got mine on temporally and definitely need trimming.
1000006808.jpg
My EVEs came with the four hole bars, but are solid. The flexible ones came with the BasenGreen box, but I'll need to make a 4" jumper to bridge across to the other side, because neither included that. If the cells had the single post straight above the terminal, the flexible bar would work.
1000006809.jpg

Yes, I got mine on temporally and definitely need trimming.
View attachment 179202
My EVEs came with the four hole bars, but are solid. The flexible ones came with the BasenGreen box, but I'll need to make a 4" jumper to bridge across to the other side, because neither included that. If the cells had the single post straight above the terminal, the flexible bar would work.
View attachment 179203
Those are single hole bus bars. I would use the 2 hole ones that came with the batteries. Or get 2 hole flexible bus bars. One hole will probably work fine. But you are losing the benefits of the 2 bolt terminal.

Those are single hole bus bars. I would use the 2 hole ones that came with the batteries. Or get 2 hole flexible bus bars. One hole will probably work fine. But you are losing the benefits of the 2 bolt terminal.
I'd love me some flexible four hole bars, 140 of them ? (could possibly sell these singles). The singles should be rated for the 280Ah cell and having a spot for the balance wires is handy.
Yeah... I think I may use the 4hole supplied with the cells, my terminals all seem to be flat, square and plumb.

Something that is discussed is aftermarket support. Since receiving my shipment Amy Wan has been extremely helpful and quick to respond to any questions. She has provided additional technical and visual documentation that has proven invaluable on this project!

The wonderful thing about the chat mode is that it allows each party to respond based on their time schedule. I must admit though that Amy Wan must keep long hours. Have been pleasantly surprised at how quickly she has responded to some of my questions. Sure beats the long hold times discussed on other threads.

Amy is shipping out a pallet (now maybe 2 ?) of cases, cells, JK-Network BMS' w/ 4.3" screen, +.
I decided that I didn't want to deal with dual cables as that doesn't really work for me, so they are changing the Batt Terminals to Large Single Pole type to accommodate my wiring. Shown Below. I'm also getting them with 200A Polarized DC Breakers so everything in my DC system is similar...

1700746376829.png

I know there are torque screwdrivers. I strongly considered purchasing one.

On the other hand a friend of mine who is a mechanic has a high end professional digital torque wrench that he lets me borrow.

I found these and currently plan on using to torque the screws in per EVE documentation specs. Actually I have been torquing just a little less than specs and everything is working just fine.

I know there are torque screwdrivers. I strongly considered purchasing one.

On the other hand a friend of mine who is a mechanic has a high end professional digital torque wrench that he lets me borrow.

I found these and currently plan on using to torque the screws in per EVE documentation specs. Actually I have been torquing just a little less than specs and everything is working just fine.

From what I recall a bunch of people were cranking to 7Nm? and shearing off.

Amy is shipping out a pallet (now maybe 2 ?) of cases, cells, JK-Network BMS' w/ 4.3" screen, +.
I decided that I didn't want to deal with dual cables as that doesn't really work for me, so they are changing the Batt Terminals to Large Single Pole type to accommodate my wiring. Shown Below. I'm also getting them with 200A Polarized DC Breakers so everything in my DC system is similar...

View attachment 179354
Is there a precharge resistor in your design or is that option a part of a BMS?

Back