diy solar

diy solar

Possible to top balance these lifepower4 batteries?

ChuckHomeLab

My battery pack #3 always shows a lower State of charge than my other two batteries, yet the cell voltages seem to be higher. Also once its get to 98.x% charged the bms appears to stop the charging. You'll notice the other two packs show over 100% charge. It hasnt really been a big deal, just wondered if it would be possible to get the batteries all in sync. I have an automation I like to run when the batteries get to 100%, but currently I am having to set it to 101% to ensure all 3 batteries are fully charged. Sometimes the overall average of the battery state of charge doesnt hit 101%. That third pack has to get to 98.8%
1705986171367.png

Attachments

• 1705985898456.png
    1705985898456.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
I would reduce the charging voltage just enough to avoid the Pack 3 BMS protection. Eventually it should balance out the cells. At 100 mV delta it seems somewhat out of balance and may take some extended time. Possibly several months or more. In the mean time everything can be operating normal.

Actually getting to 100% is a bit overrated. Maybe start the automation at 98%. The old lead-acid days of required 100% is long gone.

Batteries don't charge to 101%, they max out at 100%. Don't trust the data coming from the BMS as they're rarely accurate. Also, Solar Assistant is great but there is an error in the math he's using to calculate the battery stats. Check out the batteries using the BMStest software and I guarantee that you won't see your batteries charging to anything over 100%.

The best way to track the true SOC of your batteries is by using a Victron Smart Shunt. Add that to your system and connect it to Solar Assistant with a Victron VE cable and run your automation based on that.

I had a couple batteries that displayed this weirdness. What I did was just take the other batteries offline, then let the weird ones charge by themselves, they got to 100% SOC, then brought the others back online.

Back