diy solar

diy solar

Power outage emergency backup

aulii_419

I have an Inergy Kodiak that successfully powered my CPAP during a two day power outage. I'm now wondering how I would manage a three or more day outage. I am ready to order 4 HQST 100 watt panels and the appropriate adapter to connect to the Kodiak, but am wondering how I would recharge the Kodiak in the event the outage occurred during a period of cloudy/rainy days. I'm considering adding a Honda 2200i to my arsenal along with a quick wall charger as a backup to my backup. Any thoughts/advice much appreciated!

A 2200i will be massive overkill for the Kodiak... but it will allow extra items to run as well as recharge the battery. I just bought a predator 3500 from harbor freight for 690, and I think it’s great. There are several smaller units that use less fuel... I am looking at a 7000i trade in... my customer wants a dedicated standby generator, and this would be a trade in to me...
Keep in mind, harbor freight has a nice 2000i competitor for way less... and it gets great reviews... I understand it uses the old Honda system so it is actually a great inverter generator...

If your situation is dire enough you can always drive around in your car and recharge a solar generator like a Jackery or a Goal Zero. I can get 3 nights of CPAP from my Goal Zero 400w lithium. And it will recharge to 100% in a few hours from the car's alternator. I don't yet have my panel mounted on my little travel trailer but I will test it when I get that done.

A 2200i will be massive overkill for the Kodiak... but it will allow extra items to run as well as recharge the battery. I just bought a predator 3500 from harbor freight for 690, and I think it’s great. There are several smaller units that use less fuel... I am looking at a 7000i trade in... my customer wants a dedicated standby generator, and this would be a trade in to me...
Keep in mind, harbor freight has a nice 2000i competitor for way less... and it gets great reviews... I understand it uses the old Honda system so it is actually a great inverter generator...

Thanks for the information! I'm actually hoping to possibly run our fridge and possibly the TV in addition to recharging the Kodiak during any outage, so I'm still thinking in terms of a stand-alone generator. I really appreciate your comments regarding other options, especially those at a lower price point!

If your situation is dire enough you can always drive around in your car and recharge a solar generator like a Jackery or a Goal Zero. I can get 3 nights of CPAP from my Goal Zero 400w lithium. And it will recharge to 100% in a few hours from the car's alternator. I don't yet have my panel mounted on my little travel trailer but I will test it when I get that done.

Thanks for the input, but I'm hoping to not be in too dire a situation, hence the preplanning! I will certainly keep your suggestion in mind, however, in case it ever gets to that point.

Need to know: If I have multibranch connectors designed to connect 4 solar panels to provide power to my Kodiak generator, but for whatever reason need to use only two panels, am I going to have a problem? Thanks in advance...

Back