diy solar

diy solar

Power star W7 model PS6024E + EPEVER tracer 10420AN help needed

Sugarwood

Hi all, I’m new here from remote Australian desert location.
newbie setting up the power star w7 (24volt) 6000w fed from two 12volt Lfpo4 300amp rating by voltax.
using a new EPEVER tracer 10420AN charge controller.
epever ebox BLE01 connected also.

So to get things started I have connected only two (of 10 mounted on roof) Trina solar TSM- 390DE09.08 panels 390 watt 11.54amps and 40.8 OCV.
Trying to use the EPEVER app but frustrated as the latest app info dated 2019 on their website and I simply want my system to recognise lithium batteries within the Bluetooth app that always reverts to sealed and auto voltage setting parameters .

the parameters being shown on screen appear to be simply double the 12 volt sealed lead acid and trying to use the READ buttons to accept changes is not changing things. Worried about charging lithium on sealed settings an sure I’m probably not the first to stuff things up.

Trying to remember what will prowse said about discharging the batteries before use and then charging them to 100% before live use.
this morning I loaded them up and discharged to zero through the inverter into various power tools.
However, way out here I do not have powergrid access.
So am charging using the 40kva diesel generator to provide ”shore”power through the Powerstar inverter and the two pv panels outputting 10>20 amps variously but wondering if this is correct method in circumstances or causing detrimental effects to the new system .

Oh and the app does not recognise the power star W7 so I am not seeing LOAD displays on the 10420 lcd either.
Batteries now (4:32 GMT) but 3pm local summer time here, appear from reading 10420 lcd to be fully charged (after 1.2 hrs) on generating power.

Feel free to admonish my failings and offer some guidance on any or all of the above before I connect another 4 panels.
The 10420 can only have 2500watt input i understand and my panels are parallel connected

cheers from Michael in sunny Australia

OK, so an update 24hrs later.

After leaving the system to its own devices overnight, with just the 240v Fridge Freezer connected as a load, it seems a day later to have corrected itself magically .
To be clear I did not touch the settings further from above post.
Now system is recognizing and displaying LPO4 batteries and 24volts instead of the Sealed LA and 12v.

However, it seems the fridge defrosted O/N and I had left the Powerstar W7 on auto power save mode.

Well, the system is now showing 93% battery storage at 11am in summer time 31C here.
That's from the two panels only, as I felt it might complicate matters if I added more PV input before seeing what happened.

I have also seemed be able now to adjust the settings via the Ipad using the BLE access.

I will upload the settings I changed the EPEVER to shortly and ask if I have got this wrong, please let me know ASAP.

Cheers Michael

Settings on the app as promised..
Batt type LFP8
Rated voltage level 24volt
Batt capacity 200AH (I have two series connected LFP4 supposedly 300ah Batteries)
temp compensator -3
equilibrium dev 120m
boost deviation 120m

over volt disconnect 31.4
charging limit volt 29.2
over volt reconnect 29.4
equalise charge volt 29.0
boost charge volt 29.0
float charge volt 27.6
boost reconnect 26.4
low volt reconnect 25.6
under volt warning reconnect volt 24.2
under volt warning volt 24.0
low volt disconnect 22.2
discharge limit voltage 21.2

Are these numbers right?

I'm really keen to know how to get the Powerstar W7 recognized by the app as Load settings are still all blank.
Not keen on running a soliloquy here, so any advice is greatly appreciated
Could not see any relevant solutions in previous EPEVER threads below either.

Cheers Michael

How is it going now?

All panels connected?

I'm interested is the part that auto recognized of lipo4 batteries by the 10420an...

Hi there KC7NOA,
well, long story short I abandoned the Powerstar W7 and reinvented the system.
Did not catch any timely advice here and local options were absolutely limited also.
So I bought a 48v Growatt SPF5000ES A$1360.00 , connected all 10 of my panels noted above in series.
Growatt can take >430 OCV far beyond limitations of the Powerstar and EPever 10420.
New system fired straight up when installed, recognised all 4 of the 300amp LIFPO4 batteries connected in series for 48v and of course with nearly 4kw of PV input charged everything as it should.
The Growatt Wi-Fi module was useless so I bought a Victron BMV12 smart shunt with inbuilt Bluetooth.
Excellent unit and now can instantly read all parameters on the mobile with BT including state of charge most of all. Prior to this I had no way of knowing if battery bank was empty, full, half full etc.

Your question about auto recognition, I'm not exactly certain but I did write down my trials somewhere.
Mainly I recall you had to follow a specific sequence of entering data changes with the 10420 for every time you made a change, otherwise it reverted back to prior setting.
It did eventually auto recognise the LIFPO4 cells so I believe it may have simply been my user error all along.
I'll see what I can find more specifically about that for you.

Future upgrade (in the next 6 weeks) for this system is to add the extra 20 panels and 2 more Growatt SPF5000ES inverters for a >12KW 3 phase system. At present I'm running 2 large refrigerators and low load LED lighting throughout the house. Workshop loads in daytime include (2) 9" angle grinders simultaneously at 2400 watts each as probably the biggest load, and large power saws or wood planers. I note the system in our current winter daylight period charges the batteries well before midday if not using any large power loads. With workshop loads it still always ends the day fully charged and we go into the night with minimal loads required for usual electronic devices etc and all LED lighting in house , shed and outside illumination.
Cheers
Michael

Im glad that you have responded !!!!

And I'm glad your making headway.

I'm a little surprised that your going to 3 phase. I'm guessing your not in USA.

I'm in --way-- north idaho and looking to use 220v split phase inverter because of my deep well. Single phase but with 2x120v that one 120v is 180deg out of phase from the other. Unless I can convince my wife to replace our 25 year old well before it fails with a grundfos SQflex ...

I'm not very far along. Iv not installed my pannels yet -- just collecting and using what I have for extreme emergency. I live where the power will go out for 2 weeks and has, and my battery bank kept my pellet stove heater running for a week with a 3kw 12v-to-120v inverter.

Lots of reading to go still I guess ... a budget minded approach is where I'm at after a heartless divorce befell me. 3 years later and I still cry shortly after waking some days.

How is it going now?

All panels connected?

I'm interested is the part that auto recognized of lipo4 batteries by the 10420an...
Hi KC7NOA and Sugerwood,

I just picked up on this thread and not sure how i missed it earlier on in the year as I tend to read most of them if they interest me. I’m from NSW.

I had a few problems with my Epever, not sure the model, but at first I found the app was horrid but I think it was an old version and then I found a newer one and it all works great now.

KC the EPever cannot automatically detect that they are LifePO4 batteries. From what I recall, as I do not have anything with me, if doing the settings through the controller you must choose user defined and manually insert your settings. If however you have the Bluetooth module you download the app and can choose LifePO4 through there and all settings are updated automatically.

Just out of interest Sugarwood how are you finding the VoltX batteries I do not need any as I built my own but I like to hear how different batteries etc are working just for future reference.

Tim

Back