diy solar

diy solar

Powering 48V motors with 16s LiFePO4 battery banks

apctjb

Solar Enthusiast
In the process of building a Salt Water Reverse Osmosis (SWRO) system and would like to power the high pressure pump directly from my 16s LiFePO4 battery bank to avoid taxing my inverters and gaining some system efficiency.

48VDC motors are available in the HP range I need but have not been able to find out if motors like these can handle the 52-54 voltage range that my battery bank normally operates at and if they can what inpact does the extra voltage have on RPM, if any?

Hoping others on the forum can share their experience in powering motors directly from their LiFePO4 battery banks.

1680109442447.png

Your motors are certainly more sophisticated than what I dealt with last year. I put in cooling fans for the battery and inverter compartments. The ratings on the fans were 12v. Some fans have a voltage range but most simply said 12v. I asked the vendor and their response was that at the higher voltage that the LiFePO4 batteries tend to sit at, the fans would work but they would run faster and the lifespan may be affected. They're simple fans that cost maybe $20 and the lifespan was 50,000 hours. Over the next 10 years I doubt that my fans will see 5,000 hours. So, a decreased lifespan isn't a concern.

I would try emailing the motor manufacturer.

I have several DC motors that have a broad range of voltage. Higher voltage increases RPMs but I don't know any other negatives unless there are more sensitive electronics inside.

Back