diy solar

diy solar

Pre-Charge Switch

Here is my setup with the Blue Sea 1+2 switch (model 6007, link to website):

View attachment 135119 View attachment 135120

This is the official wiring diagram.
View attachment 135121
Let me know if you find anything wrong before I wire everything and test it with the battery.
I plan to use this as a main battery switch since I experienced some sparks when charging with a bench power supply.
Once I have it mounted on the battery enclosure I will write arrows around it to specify the order of rotation, OFF -> 1 -> 1+2 -> 2, and figure out a way to block the rotation from 2 to OFF with a metal bracket.
Looks good to me. One note: You don't actually need to turn the switch all the way to 2. By going from 1 to 1+2, you are connecting the battery directly to the loads/chargers, since a short ignores any parallel resistive path. So turn the switch to 1 to pre-charge for a second or two, then turn it to 1+2 and you are good to go.

Let me know if you find anything wrong before I wire everything and test it with the battery.
I plan to use this as a main battery switch since I experienced some sparks when charging with a bench power supply.
Once I have it mounted on the battery enclosure I will write arrows around it to specify the order of rotation, OFF -> 1 -> 1+2 -> 2, and figure out a way to block the rotation from 2 to OFF with a metal bracket.
That is the point I hooked a multimeter to be sure it was wired correctly.

This is the official wiring diagram.
View attachment 135121
Seems right, it’s just how I did mine. It’s an easy fix, though many have rube goldberged the heck out of it. just have to use a voltage meter on the output the first time and see how many seconds you need to get it up close to batt voltage. Even 1 second gets you half Way, 5 seconds maybe 18 volt, 10 seconds in the mid 20’s and at some point you just switch because not enough voltage differential exists to cause a problem.

Back