diy solar

diy solar

Progressive Dynamics PD Model 1620 2000W Inverter with ATS

upgrader

Seeking opions/experiences with Progressive Dynamics 2000W inverter with ATS. On paper this would be a good fit for my travel trailer.

But very few people seem to be using it. So I’m seeking people who have experience with this inverter.

My questions:
  • how well does it work?
  • How noisy are the fans? Are they annoying?
  • Is the ATS reliable?
  • Does the remote display provide useful info?
  • What appliances of yours does it power?
  • Did you hardwire it to your AC outlets? How many?
  • How does the built in ATS work with 20A Service when you’re plugging into 30 or 50A power tower?

Last edited:
I think the ATS inclusion ups the price. But it has gone down over $100 in price since last spring.

What attracts me to this product is it’s compact size - it fits in my solar closet; the integration of an ATS; it’s designed to be hard wired; My power center is also progressive dynamics.

Because it’s remote control & info display can be mounted in the cabin, I can install it in a hard to see area & monitor it in my cabin.

It’s been on the market for less than 5 years and no one seems to know about it. I want to know how reliable it is & if there are any problems (I.e. annoyingly loud fan noise or alarms) that would take it out of consideration.

Let me provide some background on my current system & usage:

I have a 21’ travel trailer. My water & cabin heater, refrigerator, oven & stovetop work on propane. I have a 12V stereo system & 12 V ceiling fan.

I have an TV set, DVD, AC & 700W Microwave. I rarely watch TV shows or DVDs. But I do like to stream content and, when hooked to a power source, plug my computer into the TV.

I currently use 400W inverter when using my computer or recharging my mobile devices.

About 4 years ago, I installed three 100W rooftop panels. It’s a small trailer & I had no more room for any more panels. I have a Rich Solar 40A MPPT and one Battleborn 12V battery. I do not have a generator.

I had originally planned to eventually install a 2000+W inverter & second battery. If SOK was in the market when I got the Battleborn, I would have bought the 200ai SOK.

I do a fair amount of boondocking and it is not unusual for me to move from an off grid campsite to a full hookup situation. Thus my interest in an ATS.

Rich Solar now offers a “slim” 100W panel which would fit on my rooftop. A fourth panel would allow me to connect in series & parallel. It makes sense to add a 2nd lithium battery and inverter.

The PD 1620 Inverter/ATS would solve several concerns I have ID’d when researching my specific needs.

I now want to hear from anyone who has specific knowledge of this product.

Last edited:
Note to myself; check the neutral/ground bonding operation of the ATS. I think it was Renogy that didn't bond when inverting. During shore power pass through operation the trailer has the bond from the shore power service point. When it switched to inverter mode there was no longer a bond.

I found this thread on an Traveo Trailer site. This is the sort of concerns I was interested in prior to purchasing this product.

Seeking opions/experiences with Progressive Dynamics 2000W inverter with ATS. On paper this would be a good fit for my travel trailer.

But very few people seem to be using it. So I’m seeking people who have experience with this inverter.

My questions:
  • how well does it work?
  • How noisy are the fans? Are they annoying?
  • Is the ATS reliable?
  • Does the remote display provide useful info?
  • What appliances of yours does it power?
  • Did you hardwire it to your AC outlets? How many?
  • How does the built in ATS work with 20A Service when you’re plugging into 30 or 50A power tower?
I've installed over 300 inverters since covid. I like the PD64FR for it's price, capability and the fact it is made in the USA. Overall, it has been a great inverter for me. Here are a few thoughts...
1) My Victron 2000W inverter will power my log splitter, the PD64FR immediately shuts down with a SHORT error. I'm actually happy the inverter has great functional protections, I'm just saying that for an overload like my log splitter, it couldn't handle it.
2) The remote works great.
3) I'd like more programming options, like the Victron (which is twice the price).
4) The transfer switch is rated 30A on the PD64FR. Works for me...

Back