diy solar

diy solar

Project: 2 axis rotating solar panels on a camper

Withered+Flame

Looking for camper experts as well as solar experts here:

I have an idea to mount 2.8kw of panels on a camper roof, but i want them to be adjustable in both axis. Moving the camper is not a option as i want maximum output without having to move it every hour.
I live in Alaska and in winter you need a very specific vertical and horizontal angle.

I also want it to track horizontally so a motor to rotate it is a must.
Vertical adjustment can be manual.

So...

plan.png

I'm would like to know if anyone has seen something like this done before; I would owe them one.

Keep in mind the panels need to be able to become flat and secured on the roof as the camper needs to be able to be moved.

Last edited:
Could you do the vertical with linear actuators or adjustable rods and the horizontal rotation by moving the van?

Other options get complex if you want it completely flat and strong enough to withstand some wind when parked.

Could you do the vertical with linear actuators or adjustable rods and the horizontal rotation by moving the van?

Other options get complex if you want it completely flat and strong enough to withstand some wind when parked.
I want it to track horizontally so no sadly
If it comes down to it ill just build it on the ground like a normal person :(

Search dual axis slew drive. That does both vertical and horizontal movement in one direction, but it also puts all the stress on a single mounting point.

This is a pretty complicated build and one that would be somewhat difficult to secure. I've built a roof mount single panel tilt tracker, and that was difficult enough.
Panel frames are actually not super stiff, so one almost needs to build a subframe to do the moving. I reinforced the frames at the locations my articulated lift bar attaches to the panels, and at the hinge points, but my shed doesn't move down the road, introducing yet another complication.

Include in that, that even my fairly simple application runs about a $100 per panel to implement. What most people will tell you, is if you have room, it would be cheaper to just invest in another panel for each of those $100. I got my most recent used panels for right at $100 per for 360 watt panels... In my case, I had no more room for panels on the roof, and the nerd in me wanted to make the tracker work, and it does, but I don't think most people would consider it practical or cost effective. I get an additional 20-25% of output throughout the day.

Back