diy solar

diy solar

Proposed 24V wiring diagram

TomM

Attached is my proposed wiring diagram for the 24V system. Please look it over. My plan right now is to manually isolate the system when on shore power. I wish now I had used and inverter/charger with an auto transfer switch.

Component list:
1. 3 Rich Solar 200W, 24V solar panels hooked in parallel to provide ~37V, ~16 amps charging current (not ordered).
2. EPEver MMPT MT50, 1200W, 24V designed for 150V and 40A (not ordered).
3. Home built 280Ah, 24V LiFePO4 battery. 8 cells ordered and in transit.
4. Overkill Solar BMS for 8 cell, 24V LiFePO4. Received.
5. Giandel 3000W, 24V, pure sine inverter to run lights and the microwave. Received.
6. UXCel 24-12V converter, 40A. Received.

Attachments

• 24V Wiring Diagram pdf.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 212
I don't know if my dc2dc unit needs a fuse. I am confused by Will's circuit where he uses a fuse one place and a circuit breaker another. Why use a fuse vs CB? Where do I need protection?

Tom

I am using a CB so it can also be used as a main on/off switch. They are more speedy though.

I would highly recommend:
Swap 2AWG for the 4AWG
All the 10AWG is undersized as well - especially the "Up to 85A at 4ft"

This is a low voltage DC system - your concern is voltage drop, not the absolute max ampacity you find on a chart that is based on temp rise.
Skimping on the copper is simply not worth the drop or jacket softening heat you get when you push a wire to hard.

I have nearly the exact same setup, except 2 - 24v A123 batteries (from that one vid Will did) and 2 - 40A EPever SCC's. Was looking for an approved schematic.

My batteries should assimilate to this setup if I hook them up in parallel.

Not sure about the SCC's tho. Should I add 2 - buss bars before the SCC's in order to "split" the cables coming from solar to go into each SCC individually?

Attached is my proposed wiring diagram for the 24V system. Please look it over. My plan right now is to manually isolate the system when on shore power. I wish now I had used and inverter/charger with an auto transfer switch.

Component list:
1. 3 Rich Solar 200W, 24V solar panels hooked in parallel to provide ~37V, ~16 amps charging current (not ordered).
2. EPEver MMPT MT50, 1200W, 24V designed for 150V andI 40A (not ordered).
3. Home built 280Ah, 24V LiFePO4 battery. 8 cells ordered and in transit.
4. Overkill Solar BMS for 8 cell, 24V LiFePO4. Received.
5. Giandel 3000W, 24V, pure sine inverter to run lights and the microwave. Received.
6. UXCel 24-12V converter, 40A. Received.
I'm a novice but 4AWG wire from battery to inverter and back seems too small. For 24v/3000w inverter, I would think a minimum of 1/0 or 2/0 would be necessary. Check with some of the more knowledgeable people on this forum

Back