diy solar

diy solar

Protecting AGM batteries with PWM charge controller via Low Voltage Cutoff?

Electrodude9

Hello, one of my first forays into solar was a Harbor Freight 100w "Thunder-something" pack w/ PWM charge controller. Since then I've introduced a proper solar system with Rich Solar 100w panels, an MPP Solar 24v CC & inverter combo unit and a 92ah LiFePO4 24v battery.

My question, though, is - on that cheap HF PWM that's hooked up to my 35ah 12v battery - is there a way to know if it's shutting down the battery draw automatically when the batteries get to the LVC? I believe the PWM has an LVC setting currently set at 11.9v (good or bad #, idk). Seems that when the battery gets down to 11.9v the little DC LED light that came with the system and that I've got running off it begins to flash slowly but steadily; but I don't know if the PWM is actually "protecting the battery" by preventing further discharge?

I know these HF systems are kinda on the low-end side of things, but do you think this PWM that comes with the "Thunder-something" pack is "doing its job" of protecting the battery vs. just letting the battery get to low and thus ruined?

Thanks for your input!

Any LVC it may have is likely only for anything powered by the load ports on the SCC. Many charge controllers have this feature.

Any LVC it may have is likely only for anything powered by the load ports on the SCC. Many charge controllers have this feature.
Hmmm. There's the "load ports" for the lights that came with the unit. These two lights are LED bulbs on a 12'± cord that plug directly into the SCC. This is the light that flashes when the battery get's low. There's also a + and - connection for loads on the SCC. I don't use that; but when I did, those connected to my modest inverter to power 110v things.

Just looking (and hoping) to keep this SCC from killing my two 12v 35ah lead acid batteries, when all I'm running is a single 4w LED lamp that came with the system.

Since there's a separate supply for the "warning light", I would not assume that LVC cuts that off too.

I know my two will cut off the "Load" ports on the right when the battery gets too low, never tried the barrel connectors. Those lights became porch lights at my camp. :)

For $189.00 I just would never find it in myself to buy that getup.

Back