diy solar

diy solar

protection between panels and MPPT question

Off-Grid Sailboat

I've got 2x170W panels I plan to wire in parallel going to a Victron 100/30 MPPT going to a 700Ah Lead Acid house bank. According to specs on my panels,
Vmpp = 29.4V = 29.4V this stays the same in parallel
Impp = 5.84A = 11.68A (this doubles in parallel)

looking for consult on how I should protect between panels and MPPT.

I've got a 40A switch/breaker between MPPT and Batteries.

Thanks!

Isc is the amp number you want to base your calculations on.
I am guessing your "this doubles in parallel" number for Isc is under 15 so i would use a 15A breaker.

Since they'll be wired in parallel shouldn't there be a fuse sized for the individual panel and then one after combining to account for both panels?

If so, following this guidance, assuming the short circuit current (Isc) of each panel is 6.15 amps, you'll want to fuse each panel at 10 amps and then fuse 20 amps at the combiner.

Last edited:
don't know the answer to that. are you suggesting three breakers? one for each panel and then one for the combined? I haven't seen anything like that before, but I'm really new to this stuff. on the steep side of the learning curve.

Since they'll be wired in parallel shouldn't there be a fuse sized for the individual panel and then one after combining to account for both panels?

If so, following this guidance, assuming the short circuit current (Isc) of each panel is 12.3 amps, you'll want to fuse each panel at 20 amps and then fuse 40 amps at the combiner.
lsc of each panel is 6.15A

Back