diy solar

diy solar

Pulling 17 wires through 230ft of conduit?

Locate the center of the run. And dig it up, and cut the conduit. You should have much better luck only dealing with half of the run.
Oh that's a good idea. I'll try cutting the 90/vertical out first and if that doesn't work cut the conduit about halfway.

Do you have someone feeding the cable straight in to the other side? If it's coming in at an angle then it'll be very difficult/impossible.

Okay.. I have it so I can pull inline with the conduit (removed the 90° elbow and vertical conduit.. also the other end is completely free but when I tried pulling with all my weight it does not budge whatsoever. Wondering if it would be acceptable if I attached the three #4 AWG cables that I'm trying to pull out with a tractor?

Not surprising you can't do it by hand.

3x 4 awg, 1000 lbs max, avoid exceeding that so you don't damage the wires.
If being scrapped, breaking strength likely higher.
Don't suppose you have any way to gauge force from tractor?

What is the other end like? As was mentioned, a bend, or especially snagging, will make it more difficult. You can have someone guide or feed it, just make sure they don't get their hands pulled into the conduit.

I have single 90° elbow on the other end with short length of vertical conduit with a bell fitting added on it to prevent any scraping of the cables.

I'll try a vacuum next to see if the conduit is completely clogged or if there is actually air flow. I may not try pulling with tractor if there is no air flow.

I have single 90° elbow on the other end with short length of vertical conduit with a bell fitting added on it to prevent any scraping of the cables.

Someone pushing, or support the wires and rig up a binder strap or something to give a push. Squirt some lube down to the bend. Mark wire position then see if pulling from far end gets the wires to move.

I wonder if flooding it with water would help?

I'll try a vacuum next to see if the conduit is completely clogged or if there is actually air flow. I may not try pulling with tractor if there is no air flow.

Give the tractor a try, just not too much force. Big difference between it and what you can do by hand.

Try blowing a small tuft of a cotton ball thru. Unlikely you are going to pull anything that's been sitting in a conduit over 20ft or so by hand.

I wonder if flooding it with water would help?

Give the tractor a try, just not too much force. Big difference between it and what you can do by hand.
Dish soap or liquid detergent and water. Don't skimp on the detergent. We are of course assuming the pipe is not crushed somewhere. That never happens.

Okay.. now tried a come along attached to a T post I drove into ground and started pulling... the T post started coming out ?

It's possible that the original conductors were installed incorrectly?
Conduit sections slid over the conductors and then glued?
If so, the conductors are glued to the conduit every 10'.

I'm pretty sure I did entire conduit then pulled the cable... My only other thought is that it is somewhat crushed under the gravel driveway. If I run new conduit I'll put it under/along side the old one so I'll dig a bit by the driveway edge and see if I notice anything... since I'd have to dig it up anyways might as well check if I notice anything.. Not sure if it makes any difference if the conduit is crushed though since would have to run new conduit anyways.

I'm pretty sure I did entire conduit then pulled the cable... My only other thought is that it is somewhat crushed under the gravel driveway. If I run new conduit I'll put it under/along side the old one so I'll dig a bit by the driveway edge and see if I notice anything... since I'd have to dig it up anyways might as well check if I notice anything.. Not sure if it makes any difference if the conduit is crushed though since would have to run new conduit anyways.
Ouch, that sucks.

Only if glue applied to flared piece, not to straight end to be inserted.

I did a section this way, feeding 3x 2/0 in 2" PVC.

My problem with the PVC is such a sloppy fit, compared to PVC water pipe, that it often breaks apart.

Okay.. now tried a come along attached to a T post I drove into ground and started pulling... the T post started coming out ?

Step up your game and try again. Come-along to tractor? If not sufficient then tractor-pull.

Water flooded conduit might help loosen something.

Sure you can't instead make use of your perfectly good 4 awg?

Step up your game and try again. Come-along to tractor? If not sufficient then tractor-pull.

Water flooded conduit might help loosen something.

Sure you can't instead make use of your perfectly good 4 awg?
Its a 14.4kW array.. need 3 strings

Back