diy solar

diy solar

Pulling 17 wires through 230ft of conduit?

What do you put on the conduit ends to prevent dirt and water from potentially going back down it? or is there a pic of one of these installed? when searching just keep find heavy duty ones installed.
I think they are saying to put the box above ground and add sweeping elbows in the middle of the run upwards

I probably have half the old conduit unburied now and can see the problem with not being able to pull the old cable is because the conduit is definitely not in a straight line. Much of it is because of having to route around trees and driveway is couple feet lower then surrounding area so it also dips down for that as well.

I probably have half the old conduit unburied now and can see the problem with not being able to pull the old cable is because the conduit is definitely not in a straight line. Much of it is because of having to route around trees and driveway is couple feet lower then surrounding area so it also dips down for that as well.
That will definitely make it harder to pull and more difficult-but isnt anything that should just absolutely prevent a pull of concerted effort.

What do you put on the conduit ends to prevent dirt and water from potentially going back down it? or is there a pic of one of these installed? when searching just keep find heavy duty ones installed.
Even though it's in conduit, underground wire should be wet rated. I transitioned to THHN wire for my underground run and it carries a wet rating. I can't tell you if all THHN is wet rated, but I think most does. In my experience, if there's any opening where air can get in you're going to end up with water in the conduit over time. Okay, maybe not in Arizona but in any humid climate. That's why the wire is supposed to be wet rated. When you have a pull box and you get a heavy rain it's going to fill up, along with the conduit.

Turn the conduits up into the box.

Do you mean that individual electrical wires pop out of conduit inside a box like this, other wires come out of a second conduit, and you join them with a splice? (must be a waterproof splice.)
I see there is a screw to secure the top so a tool is needed for anyone to reach it, assuming the box is well secured by dirt.
I would have thought more protection was required. I've imagined an above-ground junction box if I did a 1000' run on my mountain property. Figured having outlets there might come in handy.
But I think I have seen 3" or so conduit sticking up like that with trucks pulling wire.

1697984628960.png

1697985110523.png

1697985137540.png

1697985172220.png

Do you mean that individual electrical wires pop out of conduit inside a box like this, other wires come out of a second conduit, and you join them with a splice? (must be a waterproof splice.)
Yes
Can be spliced. Or just pulled through the next conduit.

OK, I wanted to pull through next conduit without splicing.
After I've used pull tape to pull 3x 2 awg + ground out of the conduit a few feet, I need to pull another 100' or so of wire so it can be fed into next conduit (in conduit body not pull box in my case.)
Wrap the wires around cable tugger capstan and keep pulling?

After I've used pull tape to pull 3x 2 awg + ground out of the conduit a few feet, I need to pull another 100' or so of wire so it can be fed into next conduit (in conduit body not pull box in my case.)
Yeah but someone needs to feed. And not just make sure the wires aren't tangled, I mean actually put some force on them as the go in.

On long pulls, I vacuum a string in and then tie a rag on to the string. Fill the end of the pipe with lube and pull the rag back through. Do the same the other way. So you mop the inside of the pipe with lube the whole length. Also pay attention to the direction the bell end of the pipe is facing. It's easier to pull into the bell than against it.

I would be concerned about damaging the conductors.
Usually, if I need to use a tugger. And need to pull out a lengthy leader. I setup a sheave/pulley and move the tugger further away. But if it is a great length, I would just make plans for splicing.

Also you need to allow for the weight of the wire itself. 3 x 2 awg x 100' is about 60 lbs of wire by my math. So you're dragging 60 lbs plus the friction.

100% agree on having someone feeding and pushing. That's a big deal.

Back