diy solar

diy solar

Pure sine way inverter

Bill Res

Do most 12volt to 230 volt 50 hs pure sine way have a switch to change from 50hs to 60 hs. Need a 12 volt volt to 230 50 hs pure sine way inverter to run a small refrigerator and some house lights not more than 10 small house lights. Plus I’am not sure how big to buy.

Do most 12volt to 230 volt 50 hs pure sine way have a switch to change from 50hs to 60 hs. Need a 12 volt volt to 230 50 hs pure sine way inverter to run a small refrigerator and some house lights not more than 10 small house lights. Plus I’am not sure how big to buy.
Can you clarify what your goal is, I'm not quite following the question.

If you buy 230/50 and you need to power 230/50, what do you need the switch for?

Or am I misunderstanding and you want to buy a European/Int'l 230V 50Hz inverter for use with North American Split Phase 60Hz?

I think Victron Inverters can be switched from 50/60 or vice versa, but not with a simple external switch.

Can you clarify what your goal is, I'm not quite following the question.

If you buy 230/50 and you need to power 230/50, what do you need the switch for?

Or am I misunderstanding and you want to buy a European/Int'l 230V 50Hz inverter for use with North American Split Phase 60Hz?

I think Victron Inverters can be switched from 50/60 or vice versa, but not with a simple external switch.
Want to use inverter in Africa which use 230 volt 50 hs charity is located there . They have small refrigerator can’t run it because no power. Have go solar. Need to buy correct inverter for there so could run house lights and a small refrigerator. Not sure of size of inverter to buy. Do not to over size or under size inverter. Thanks

How big is the fridge? Can you read the stcker to show what the Cuurent draw rating is at 230VAC? Inductive load such as motor, compressor can have surge 4 ~ 10 times the rating for 1/2 seconds (500 miliseconds) or more so you need to make sure the inverter can handle the surge.

Want to use inverter in Africa which use 230 volt 50 hs charity is located there . They have small refrigerator can’t run it because no power. Have go solar. Need to buy correct inverter for there so could run house lights and a small refrigerator. Not sure of size of inverter to buy. Do not to over size or under size inverter. Thanks
Will you only be using it with 230 / 50 hz equipment?

If so it seems the easiest option would be just to buy a 230/50 inverter made for that region (you can find them here on ebay etc)

Here is one example

How big is the fridge? Can you read the stcker to show what the Cuurent draw rating is at 230VAC? Inductive load such as motor, compressor can have surge 4 ~ 10 times the rating for 1/2 seconds (500 miliseconds) or more so you need to make sure the inverter can handle the surge.
It’s like a apartment size refrigerator so I’am only would be guessing to that. Not very up on electric over there. Just trying to buy the correct inverter. Hope you could get me some where to start to look up information. Will’s great but never mention 230 volt systems. Plus I’am totally in the dark about it. Hard to find information if you don’t no correct questions to ask. But I’am totally committed to my wife’s charity there. Thanks

It’s like a apartment size refrigerator so I’am only would be guessing to that. Not very up on electric over there. Just trying to buy the correct inverter. Hope you could get me some where to start to look up information. Will’s great but never mention 230 volt systems. Plus I’am totally in the dark about it. Hard to find information if you don’t no correct questions to ask. But I’am totally committed to my wife’s charity there. Thanks
What do you think about running a 12 dc travel refrigerator? Not going with a costly inverter. May want to run the house on 12 volt Dc. There is a possibility in the future to get electric from the grid. Been waiting a year for a meter. Yes I now third world power. The house is wired but no meter. Very frustrating for them and us. Been using 5 volt usb lights for over a year of small power banks. Bill

Plus I am totally in the dark about it. Hard to find information if you don’t no correct questions to ask. But I’m totally committed to my wife’s charity there. Thanks
I know the feeling, its tough to find answers when you are not sure how to form the question.

Samlex (an inverter manufacturer) makes a cheat sheet for ballparking the necessary inverter size (see attached).

If you don't know the spec's of your specific fridge, maybe find a similar 230v fridge online. And use it to get a ballpark estimate. In the US we have Energy Star ratings and other power spec's, I imagine there is something similar that you can use to ballpark the power needs for your fridge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201206_203924.png
    Screenshot_20201206_203924.png
    155 KB · Views: 2
What do you think about running a 12 dc travel refrigerator? Not going with a costly inverter.
To generalize, A DC fridge will be somewhat more efficient (with a DC system) and more costly (though if you don't have to buy an inverter or can buy a smaller inverter) that will offset cost partially or fully, maybe even be cheaper.

I like the idea. But it will depend somewhat on your context.

To generalize, A DC fridge will be somewhat more efficient (with a DC system) and more costly (though if you don't have to buy an inverter or can buy a smaller inverter) that will offset cost partially or fully, maybe even be cheaper.

I like the idea. But it will depend somewhat on your context.
House is wired 230 volts . Just go and new wire the whole house with 12 volt dc for lights buy all new 12 volt led lights plus switches. Buy a small rv 12 volt refrigerator. Then only need a small house inverter to run a small tv they have. Then we have a complete separate off grid system. Never have to worry about the meter again. Just buy quality 12 gauge wire for new runs. 14 gauge from light switches to led lights. Not sure size wire for refrigerator. Yes keep runs short put 12 volt breakers almost like house wiring. 500 feet 12 ga quality wire 400 feet 14 wire bulk buy lights and switches. Guessing 500 bucks for wire and switches and 30 or so built in led lights. House is average size 1200 square feet. Bill

House is wired 230 volts . Just go and new wire the whole house with 12 volt dc for lights buy all new 12 volt led lights plus switches. Buy a small rv 12 volt refrigerator. Then only need a small house inverter to run a small tv they have. Then we have a complete separate off grid system. Never have to worry about the meter again. Just buy quality 12 gauge wire for new runs. 14 gauge from light switches to led lights. Not sure size wire for refrigerator. Yes keep runs short put 12 volt breakers almost like house wiring. 500 feet 12 ga quality wire 400 feet 14 wire bulk buy lights and switches. Guessing 500 bucks for wire and switches and 30 or so built in led lights. House is average size 1200 square feet. Bill
You can use a wire size calculator like this to calculate wire size http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/#

Rewiring an entire house for 12v dc sounds like a lot of work and maybe not the most practical approach, but wiring specific loads and lighting would not be very difficult (I have no expertise in this matter, just sharing my opinion).

The loading of a domestic fridge is high when the fridge starts. Many low cost inverters fail to perform well.
You need a true sine wave inverter 500 watts minimum with good overload capacity. Victron inverters have been used with success to power small fridges.
If you connect to the house inlet consumer unit ( ensuring there is no way the grid can connect, remove main fuse) then depending on local regs there may be protective circuits. The inverter needs connecting to match these.

What is the total loading at 230 v in watts?
How much solar watts, what solar regulator and what battery capacity and voltage. Need to know this.

Mike

Last edited:
Because I have to ship everything there. Thinking if buy a 12 volt battery like one Will just reviewed. Giving me 150 watts of usable batteries 400 watts of solar panels 100 watts each. A new charge controller to match this. Set up a board like Will has shown. Mount everything here on board. Remove the 230 volt pure sine way inverter. Box that up. Leaving only that to reinstall. Joseph in Malawi is carrying a 150 amp gell battery out side his house every day. He has one solar cell to charge battery every day. Just got him a 12 volt battery checker to check voltage. He’s back wiring house with just the 12 volt battery. Don’t laugh it actually works. No he cannot use his small tv or small apartment size refrigerator. This I would like to make happen. So far he’s keeping battery charged up to 12.8 volts. Pretty much every day. Lights only for three to four hours. They go bed early get up early. Even if I if they eventually get town electric it’s not very reliable. If we can just get this to work off grid. We would never have to hook up to grid. He’s only using so little power I’am hopping to make all this work for now more than $2,500 tight budget because of charity money tight. Thanks every one. Bill R

Because I have to ship everything there. Thinking if buy a 12 volt battery like one Will just reviewed. Giving me 150 watts of usable batteries 400 watts of solar panels 100 watts each. A new charge controller to match this. Set up a board like Will has shown. Mount everything here on board. Remove the 230 volt pure sine way inverter. Box that up. Leaving only that to reinstall. Joseph in Malawi is carrying a 150 amp gell battery out side his house every day. He has one solar cell to charge battery every day. Just got him a 12 volt battery checker to check voltage. He’s back wiring house with just the 12 volt battery. Don’t laugh it actually works. No he cannot use his small tv or small apartment size refrigerator. This I would like to make happen. So far he’s keeping battery charged up to 12.8 volts. Pretty much every day. Lights only for three to four hours. They go bed early get up early. Even if I if they eventually get town electric it’s not very reliable. If we can just get this to work off grid. We would never have to hook up to grid. He’s only using so little power I’am hopping to make all this work for now more than $2,500 tight budget because of charity money tight. Thanks every one. Bill R
Have looked up this inverter 2C51AC70-7EBA-4ED5-AE54-F1D63AB0410D.png3153172C-F00C-4D77-86CD-D52DDCDD2E73.png

Attachments

• 0D366667-69C8-4DFE-A227-4F3E850BA323.png
    0D366667-69C8-4DFE-A227-4F3E850BA323.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 1
Back