diy solar

diy solar

pv input power vs charging current?

I think you are right. The rest is for running loads, which doesn't help me since I'm not using the inverter section.

The eg4 100 500 looks interesting but I've seen some people have issues.

I have 2 of the chargers, the units work. I made a video 2 weeks ago discussing the code F01 setting but it didn't affect the operation of the charger, was annoying however. I will be posting an update to that video, EG4 has a firmware update available and the false code setting problem. The issue is very intermittent, it might only set for a day or two out of 2 weeks. The firmware does fix it.
A member here made a video a couple of months about the eg4. I went to ask a question in the comments and he had posted an update that it was already erroring out and not working.

I'd like to avoid eg4 products if possible but may not have a choice
The chargers work and work very well. You can find my original review under Doc Zwy on Youtube. I will try to get the update with firmware install out later this week.

But they could mean I have a ton of unused pv if the panels are putting out say 7kw but only 4600 is being sent to the battery
My inverters can put out up to 120 amps each for 240 amps max charge, but since I have no PV and charge only from AC, I limit the current to 40 amps each, which are the size of the AC breakers I use. I try to keep the charge under what the Grid tie inverters are putting out, so its all free.

I have 2 of the chargers, the units work. I made a video 2 weeks ago discussing the code F01 setting but it didn't affect the operation of the charger, was annoying however. I will be posting an update to that video, EG4 has a firmware update available and the false code setting problem. The issue is very intermittent, it might only set for a day or two out of 2 weeks. The firmware does fix it.

The chargers work and work very well. You can find my original review under Doc Zwy on Youtube. I will try to get the update with firmware install out later this week.
This video

And his follow up comment

Well this unit has already failed. It goes into fault mode and locks up. Seems to me that it won't actually do 5kw. Works fine with panels less than 3k. I'm going to be doing an update video on this, and probably going to pull this video down after people have had some time to read the comments to see my feedback. 2 out of 10 stars, I no longer recommend this charge controller.

This video

And his follow up comment

Well this unit has already failed. It goes into fault mode and locks up. Seems to me that it won't actually do 5kw. Works fine with panels less than 3k. I'm going to be doing an update video on this, and probably going to pull this video down after people have had some time to read the comments to see my feedback. 2 out of 10 stars, I no longer recommend this charge controller.
He is a member here and I had seen that video before. I did post a comment he probably needed the firmware update. I've been using one of these longer than he has, I found these are very efficient and work extremely well. It is simple, easy to install and just worked. They would set an F01 code near evening but clear that code out when the unit shut down for the night. These do not draw power overnight, the unit shuts down. 25W draw when running for the display and MPPT.

I recommend these with the stipulation to install the firmware update and to be aware of the tech support problems with EG4. James needs to either improve customer/tech support or step aside and let someone do it that knows what they are doing.

These will do 5Kw, I run 4.3Kw thru mine all the time off 4240W of PV per unit. You will not find any SCC that can handle high string voltage in this price range.

You will not find any SCC that can handle high string voltage in this price range.
This may be true in which case I may need to look at other options. Heck maybe I just run four 90v strings from my roof. I'll need 4 awg wire but this whole inexpensive high voltage charge controller deal is getting ridiculous

Last edited:
He is a member here and I had seen that video before. I did post a comment he probably needed the firmware update. I've been using one of these longer than he has, I found these are very efficient and work extremely well. It is simple, easy to install and just worked. They would set an F01 code near evening but clear that code out when the unit shut down for the night. These do not draw power overnight, the unit shuts down. 25W draw when running for the display and MPPT.

I recommend these with the stipulation to install the firmware update and to be aware of the tech support problems with EG4. James needs to either improve customer/tech support or step aside and let someone do it that knows what they are doing.
Copy. How long have you been running yours?

This may be true in which case I may need to look at other options. Heck maybe I just run four 90v strings from my roof. I'll need 4 awg wire but this whole inexpensive high voltage charge controller deal is getting ridiculous
Victron $1200

There are one or two other but all over $1K. The EG4 fits the need for a higher voltage charge controller quite well.

I
Victron $1200

There are one or two other but all over $1K. The EG4 fits the need for a higher voltage charge controller quite well.
I would need two of them.

If I get the charge controllers then I'll have only about $100 in wire to run but the warranty is only 3 years. If they last 10 years I'll have to change them again.

If I do 150v wiring I'll need to spend about $800 in wire but it could outlast me. Until I decide to get the latest greatest inverter then I have to rewire the whole shebang on the roof.

Tough. Tough decision

I have a few questions about the failed charge controllers in the video. When the fault code appears, the PV input needs to be turned off. This forces a reboot. Usually the PV voltage will be under 110V, which is where the SCC quits charging and more than 80V which is where the unit shuts down for the night.

I didn't see any videos of the locked unit but it would be nice if he did show it along with some PV voltage readings. He will definitely have fun dealing with SS tech support, read the later posts in this thread with my experience with tech support. I did get quite nasty in my response to the needed photos of AC input and output. Tech support does not know the difference between a charge controller and an inverter.

I

I would need two of them.

If I get the charge controllers then I'll have only about $100 in wire to run but the warranty is only 3 years. If they last 10 years I'll have to change them again.

If I do 150v wiring I'll need to spend about $800 in wire but it could outlast me. Until I decide to get the latest greatest inverter then I have to rewire the whole shebang on the roof.

Tough. Tough decision
I was in the same boat. I believe having higher string voltage helps with efficiency if there won't be any shading. If you have any shading, then multiple lower voltage strings might be a better choice.

One advantage to these charge controllers is they will supply power to the inverters when the sun is shining and battery is turned off if it just connected to the battery DC bus after a BMS or shunt trip breaker. Batrium had a firmware update last week, I just finished the install when it threw the shunt trip breaker that all battery power goes thru. But I never lost power in the house. The Batrium firmware update reset all my settings and caused a critical fault to set and trip the breaker. Was an accidental discovery but one that had it's advantages.

I was in the same boat. I believe having higher string voltage helps with efficiency if there won't be any shading. If you have any shading, then multiple lower voltage strings might be a better choice.

One advantage to these charge controllers is they will supply power to the inverters when the sun is shining and battery is turned off if it just connected to the battery DC bus after a BMS or shunt trip breaker. Batrium had a firmware update last week, I just finished the install when it threw the shunt trip breaker that all battery power goes thru. But I never lost power in the house. The Batrium firmware update reset all my settings and caused a critical fault to set and trip the breaker. Was an accidental discovery but one that had it's advantages.
Now that's interesting (powering the loads without the battery)

I have a couple of months to make a decision. I'll be watching your threads for updates lol

Now that's interesting (powering the loads without the battery)

I have a couple of months to make a decision. I'll be watching your threads for updates lol
These have worked flawlessly since the firmware update. A really simple SCC. It will communicate with EG4 batteries but not SA or other monitoring. I can calculate PV daily output by looking at Kw loads per day plus Kw charge per day using SA communicating with the LV6548 inverters and a Smart Shunt on the battery bank.

Back