diy solar

diy solar

PV wire in conduit transition to Victron charge controller

seneysolar

Solar Enthusiast
If running the PV wire in conduit, how is everyone making a code compliant transition to a Victron charge controller (or any other controller) that doesn't have knockouts, just terminals on the outside? Seems like you will always be left with "exposed wires"??

Pictures?

I've seen them placed in an enclosure. (With ventilation)
And I have seen some people use 3D printed covers.
But yeah, code compliant is already off the table.

Many of the Victron charge controllers are ETL listed to UL 1741. I decided to add a wire box to minimize the exposed cable. Note there are many different wire boxes, pick the one specifically for your controller. Here are some.

And yes, I think they should include them in the base product...

Many of the Victron charge controllers are ETL listed to UL 1741. I decided to add a wire box to minimize the exposed cable. Note there are many different wire boxes, pick the one specifically for your controller. Here are some.

And yes, I think they should include them in the base product...
Ok, i did see the wire box but it doesn't do anything to accept conduit? Am I missing something ?

I had hopes of using the SmartSolar 150/45 but this will be subject to inspection.

If running the PV wire in conduit, how is everyone making a code compliant transition to a Victron charge controller (or any other controller) that doesn't have knockouts, just terminals on the outside? Seems like you will always be left with "exposed wires"??

Pictures?
In Australia, it isn't a problem for 'short' runs of solar cable to be left exposed out of the conduit- as long as it is A: regulation double insulated (ie contrasting inner and outer insulation colours eg black sheath with white or orange inner) and B: UV stabilised...

1707880580872.png

Shame they simply can't all agree on one set of standards worldwide... (admittedly most of the world has done that with the Eu, Au/NZ, UK Russia and China all sharing pretty much the same regs along with most of the Commonwealth countries- Canada being pretty much the standout and using US UL or equivalent standards instead...)

Ok, i did see the wire box but it doesn't do anything to accept conduit? Am I missing something ?

I had hopes of using the SmartSolar 150/45 but this will be subject to inspection.
The wire box opening is just wide enough to take 1/2 inch fmc, and with a bit of shaving (it is just plastic, it could take 3/4 in. As such, using the wire box, and a clamp around the FMC to your wall to secure the incoming conduit, *may* do the deed.

The wire box opening is just wide enough to take 1/2 inch fmc, and with a bit of shaving (it is just plastic, it could take 3/4 in. As such, using the wire box, and a clamp around the FMC to your wall to secure the incoming conduit, *may* do the deed.
Yeah i was trying to picture something like that. Too bad they cut a big notch instead of using standard knockouts.

Surely someone has a picture of this being done??.

Yeah i was trying to picture something like that. Too bad they cut a big notch instead of using standard knockouts.

Surely someone has a picture of this being done??.
Here is a picture. Not metal conduit, but it shows it can be done:

That is very interesting- what is the lower box called - that has all the other equipment in it?

Thanks for the picture. Thats what i was looking for but is there anything holding the conduit? Looks like its just sitting there?

Last edited:
Back