diy solar

diy solar

How to transition panel PV wire and MC4 connectors to conduit?

AlpineJoe

For testing I have my PV cable running down to my SCC out in the open, but after I've proven it works, I'll need to put the run into conduit. Likely will use 10ga THHN wire in the conduit.

Question for the group - how is the transition made from solar panel MC4 connectors and PV wire to metal conduit and THHN wire?

Thanks

For testing I have my PV cable running down to my SCC out in the open, but after I've proven it works, I'll need to put the run into conduit. Likely will use 10ga THHN wire in the conduit.

Question for the group - how is the transition made from solar panel MC4 connectors and PV wire to metal conduit and THHN wire?

Thanks
Disconnect or a combiner.

Factory made disconnect switch with external MC4 connectors on one side and conduit on the other will have all the parts you need.

And you likely need a disconnect there anyway.

If you are running in conduit for protection for some distance, you can use two or three opening cable gland

I would put a box with strain relief/seals on a knockout. Bonding wire needs to terminate in the box from conduit and then go to the first bond connection point. Without that I am not sure how you would maintain a code compliant install (unless you are using PVC conduit).

I used some of these on my roofs: https://soladeck.com/

In there, you transition from PV wire to THHN (or at least that's where I did, since I drilled a hole in the roof for connecting galvanized flex conduit to connect to the Soladeck). It comes with the weather tight strain relief connectors that you'll want to use.

Last edited:
4x box is sealed, 3R is rainproof (other "IP" designations for Europe)
If the wires go up from underneath into a junction box, that keeps rain out but not fog.
I use raintight metal or plastic conduit boxes.
Usually with raintight compression glands (some have inserts for 4 wires).
But other electrical boxes are 3R, and conduit between inverters, so nothing is sealed. I might caulk conduit inlets if I wanted to keep humidity out.

1698257425464.png

I'm pretty sure DC conductors has to be metal clad (EMT or MC) for code compliance...
Only inside buildings, outside non metallic conduit, boxes, etc are ok when used within there requirements in the NEC.

EDIT: only for NEC 2020 or later, NEC 2017 metal is only required inside to the first disconnect.

Last edited:
Back