diy solar

diy solar

Confused about wiring, conduit, code, mounting, etc

Siamac

I've watched most of Will's videos multiple times. He makes it seem so easy.
In all of his videos, he's running the PV cable directly from the panels to the inverter, without any conduit, just bare PV cable, over his dirt backyard, over concrete, inside, outside, in his shop, RV, everywhere without any covering.
His backyard panels are mounted on a wooden stand held down by a rod in the ground. What seems like the main array is just panels laid down on his driveway.
For the AC connections, he uses romex, SO cable, NEMA cable, and even a spliced extension cord. He does use conduit between the electric subpanels, but it seems like it's plastic.
His panel ground is just bare ground wire, looks maybe 8-10 AWG?
All this seems super easy. Along with my prior knowledge and watching all his videos, I feel very confident about doing it myself.

However, there are experts in the forums that say this is a big no no. None of this is up to code.

I bought all the parts, but I'm not sure what to do now. I need more panels to add to my current AC system. I would really like to DIY and have the benefits of a batteryless AIO DC system, with the future option of adding batteries, but code requirements make it much harder than it seems.

How is everyone else dealing with this? Are most people running everything up to code and getting permits for it all? Or most people doing it like Will and taking their chances?

I have a few mounting options, but I guess I need to know how everyone else is doing it so I can come up with a better plan. My most ideal sun is on the roof

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say most of the regulars here are not getting full permits and inspections. Maybe their array was inspected, but they are making modifications after that without permits.

That's just my guess, and not an endorsement or encouragement to do so. You decide what's right for you.

Then, most people are looking to the code as a guideline for what is considered safe, and deciding how much they are willing to deviate from that. We all vary greatly in how much we are willing to deviate there.

I for one, would never attempt to backfeed my entire house through the dryer outlet. That's not ok by any means and it's not something I would know anything about. Not that you or anyone else ever brought that idea up, I'm just stating it. I mean electrically, it is possible. One could do it. But you shouldn't.

I for one, would never attempt to backfeed my entire house through the dryer outlet. That's not ok by any means and it's not something I would know anything about.
Forgot about that one. He did that too

Forgot about that one. He did that too
Just to be clear, I'm not aware if Will ever did. Maybe he did, but I was making a joke about some testing I have done myself.

This is definitely the most wild west forum on the internet right now. Will's willingness to play with this stuff is what brought me to his channel and the forum. Most electrical forums are dominated by some kind of code warrior competition. For some people it is addicting to know the book inside and out.

You should decide what your goals are and then people can better guide you. Maybe you want to do a no battery install on the roof, get that inspected and passed with a NEM agreement, and then add batteries on the sly. That will narrow the options down greatly, but also restrict the options a lot.

The two biggest oppositions between off grid solar design and the code I would say are 1. running straight high voltage series strings of panels - code does not like this on rooftops, and 2. UL Listing requirements for batteries. By code, the entire DIY battery scene is illegal for residential backup power.

I've watched most of Will's videos multiple times. He makes it seem so easy.
In all of his videos, he's running the PV cable directly from the panels to the inverter, without any conduit, just bare PV cable, over his dirt backyard, over concrete, inside, outside, in his shop, RV, everywhere without any covering.
His backyard panels are mounted on a wooden stand held down by a rod in the ground. What seems like the main array is just panels laid down on his driveway.
For the AC connections, he uses romex, SO cable, NEMA cable, and even a spliced extension cord. He does use conduit between the electric subpanels, but it seems like it's plastic.
His panel ground is just bare ground wire, looks maybe 8-10 AWG?
All this seems super easy. Along with my prior knowledge and watching all his videos, I feel very confident about doing it myself.

However, there are experts in the forums that say this is a big no no. None of this is up to code.

I bought all the parts, but I'm not sure what to do now. I need more panels to add to my current AC system. I would really like to DIY and have the benefits of a batteryless AIO DC system, with the future option of adding batteries, but code requirements make it much harder than it seems.

How is everyone else dealing with this? Are most people running everything up to code and getting permits for it all? Or most people doing it like Will and taking their chances?

I have a few mounting options, but I guess I need to know how everyone else is doing it so I can come up with a better plan. My most ideal sun is on the roof

A lot of it depends on, where you live, and whether the equipment and solar panels will be mounted in/on the permitted house, or on in an outbuilding or ground mount. If on grid, sometimes the power provider will have their own rules, apart from the city/county codes.

Last thing you want is anyone coming over later from the city or county telling you they're going to condemn your home or something crazy like that.

Different areas have different levels of standards they make you follow.

Back