diy solar

diy solar

Question about "in-line" T fuse application

John SK

Hello. I'm facing great space difficulties in upgrading my battery bank in my class C sprinter based motorhome. I want to please know, if in the pinch I'm in, whether installing a T class fuse like this picture is unsafe. The fuse in the picture is using flex a pene 4/0 cable between a Magnum 3,000 watt inverter/charger and an 800AH AGM battery bank installed in a fifth wheel travel trailer.

I propose to install mine similarly for use with a 412 AH LiFePO4 bank (2 x 206 SOK batts in parallel). I would use appropriate stress relief to avoid vibration, etc. The fuse in the picture was wrapped twice, from different directions, with loom and had 3 zip ties on it, so I'd do the same.

If this can work, are there any particular nuts, bolts, washers that make sense. Copper? The ones in the picture look like typical zinc to me, but maybe not.

I tried and failed to fit the Blue Sea 5502 holder into my rig. It's too high.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 15
I think that would work.
Ensure that cable crimp and fuse tabs are in direct contact.
Size the hole in the crimp and the bolt to the size of the hole in the fuse tab. Not sloppy fit.
Doesn't matter what washers you use as they are not in the current path.
Insulate well.

With no washer between the lug and fuse, your connections are fine.

The risk is that the weak fiberglass body of the sand filled fuse will break from vibration or tension.

The fuse connection doesn’t concern me, but the wire reinforced metallized duct work does. Only because with my luck, I’d be the one that would end up with sparks. So keep that split loom over it.

Back