diy solar

diy solar

Question about the solar tax credits

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
Let's say that I bought 10,000 Watts of solar panels from a distributor in 2022

And then let's say that I bought an inverter from another distributor in 2022

From what I'm reading the tax credit is based on when you put the eligible items into use, not necessarily when you purchase them

Could I in fact then claim these items on my 2024 tax return for credit?

Let's say that I bought 10,000 Watts of solar panels from a distributor in 2022

And then let's say that I bought an inverter from another distributor in 2022

From what I'm reading the tax credit is based on when you put the eligible items into use, not necessarily when you purchase them

Could I in fact then claim these items on my 2024 tax return for credit?
Talk to a CPA.

I’ve never known of anything one-time you could include post-year of the purchase date other than typical depreciation.
“Going into service” maybe is specifically for solar?

Otherwise contractors would not be rushing out to buy trucks on Dec 31 LOL

IRS Form 5695.
...Costs. For purposes of both credits, costs are treated as being paid when the original installation of the item is completed...

Completed. Ie commissioned.

You can't get a tax credit for a pile of solar stuff you bought this year if you don't hook it up and make it work.

Form 5695 instructions.

Last edited:
There’s a publication somewhere. I recall it was something like “put into service.” And it wasn’t further defined. Using the panels to charge a battery through your controller and powering a bulb with your inverter would seem to qualify. I took pics of the same. An audit could go several directions. I’m pretty risk averse and go with the truth.

Here’s one. I think there is a better one.

Claimed mine (fed)for last year. My CPA covers all bases, yet didn't ask me for anything but numbers and what it was for. And yes, it's the tax year it was put into service. And only the portion you put in service. If you buy 40 panels, and only install 20 of the panels that year, you can only claim the 20 you installed.

Claimed mine (fed)for last year. My CPA covers all bases, yet didn't ask me for anything but numbers and what it was for. And yes, it's the tax year it was put into service. And only the portion you put in service. If you buy 40 panels, and only install 20 of the panels that year, you can only claim the 20 you installed.
Oh that's awesome I was actually just going to ask this... So I installed nine out of 40 panels I think the year before last... So I might be able to go back and do a modification to that tax year and put a little bit more back in my pocket

Oh that's awesome I was actually just going to ask this... So I installed nine out of 40 panels I think the year before last... So I might be able to go back and do a modification to that tax year and put a little bit more back in my pocket
But, you can only do it once per residence. As in, if I decide to double my system, I can't get a credit for it if I already claimed it last year.

Edit to add that I appear to be incorrect. I believe the sites and my accountant that I relied on are misunderstanding the phrase "can only be used once"

Last edited:
"The credit has no annual or lifetime dollar limit except for credit limits for fuel cell property. You can claim the annual credit every year that you install eligible property until the credit begins to phase out in 2033."

That’s unfortunate. I thought additions would be eligible.

They are, per the above.

And you can add batteries later for credit.

Also,

"
Rebates are subtracted from qualified expenses if all of these apply:

• The rebate is based on the cost of the property.
  • It comes from someone connected to the sale such as the manufacturer, distributor, seller or installer.
  • It isn't given as payment for services you provide.
State energy efficiency incentives are generally not subtracted from qualified costs unless they qualify as a rebate or purchase-price adjustment under federal income tax law. Many states label energy efficiency incentives as rebates even though they don't qualify under that definition. Those incentives could be included in your gross income for federal income tax purposes. Find more about how subsidies affect home energy credits."

Back