diy solar

diy solar

Quick assessment of my AC coupled storage

SparkyJJO

(un)Certified Arc Generator
This is my current setup. Note that nothing is to scale (wire length etc, just a connection diagram).

1646844859779.png

This is what I'm intending to do with the upcoming Outback Mojave inverter to manage the storage/changeover and allow my GTI setup to continue functioning in the event of grid failure:

1646844929479.png

The 45A breaker from main panel to the Outback might not be right - It is a placeholder until I look at it further. The Mojave may be able to do a higher grid pass-through current, but I'm not sure.
I'm assuming I should have a rapid shutdown switch on the outside of the house in case of emergency, so my plan was to reuse the existing external PV disconnect box for that. There is a RSD switch input on the Mojave inverter. Should I leave it as-is, and add a second switch for the inverter RSD?
I am checking with Outback Power to see if the Mojave has a built-in precharge circuit. If not, I'll put one in. It does have a built-in set of breakers for the battery.
The breakers on the batteries are more for potential servicing concerns since the Mojave does have its own battery breaker already. I want to be able to shut down a bank if needed for servicing reasons.

I've been reading a lot and my brain is overloading. I mainly wanted to make sure I'm on the right path. Any immediate, glaring faults or things I should consider?

Things I still need to do:
1) Determine best bus bars (maybe the ones included are good enough)
2) Get wire
3) Get the large AWG crimpers and lugs
4) Get the small lugs for BMS leads (which I'll have more questions on, the wiring diagram is a bit weird to me)
5) Get the battery fixture hardware figured out
6) Wait until May for the inverter to be available for purchase

Oh, and I need to clean up the area around my breaker box as it is a mess and there's no room for all this stuff.

I'm second guessing my cable thickness.

One wire calculator showed 1/0 as being more than capable of the current load of just under 200A (8000 / 48 / 0.85). Here: https://baymarinesupply.com/calculator

200A, 48V, 20ft round trip, 1/0 shows 0.84% voltage drop which is shown as "excellent" there. But I saw elsewhere on the forum that 200A loads should be 2/0. When I looked here at wire https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/welding-cable it showed 1/0 good for up to 190A.

I guess to be extra careful I'll go to 2/0. Should give more leeway in case my round trip is over 10 ft, I guess?

I also am not finding 250A breakers for each battery bank. At least, not sure about ones I'd trust...

Last edited:
This is my current setup. Note that nothing is to scale (wire length etc, just a connection diagram).

View attachment 86658

This is what I'm intending to do with the upcoming Outback Mojave inverter to manage the storage/changeover and allow my GTI setup to continue functioning in the event of grid failure:

View attachment 86659

The 45A breaker from main panel to the Outback might not be right - It is a placeholder until I look at it further. The Mojave may be able to do a higher grid pass-through current, but I'm not sure.
I'm assuming I should have a rapid shutdown switch on the outside of the house in case of emergency, so my plan was to reuse the existing external PV disconnect box for that. There is a RSD switch input on the Mojave inverter. Should I leave it as-is, and add a second switch for the inverter RSD?
I am checking with Outback Power to see if the Mojave has a built-in precharge circuit. If not, I'll put one in. It does have a built-in set of breakers for the battery.
The breakers on the batteries are more for potential servicing concerns since the Mojave does have its own battery breaker already. I want to be able to shut down a bank if needed for servicing reasons.

I've been reading a lot and my brain is overloading. I mainly wanted to make sure I'm on the right path. Any immediate, glaring faults or things I should consider?

Things I still need to do:
1) Determine best bus bars (maybe the ones included are good enough)
2) Get wire
3) Get the large AWG crimpers and lugs
4) Get the small lugs for BMS leads (which I'll have more questions on, the wiring diagram is a bit weird to me)
5) Get the battery fixture hardware figured out
6) Wait until May for the inverter to be available for purchase

Oh, and I need to clean up the area around my breaker box as it is a mess and there's no room for all this stuf

Did you ever find this out?
I am checking with Outback Power to see if the Mojave has a built-in precharge circuit.

I want to be able to shut down a bank if needed for servicing reasons.
in case you did not resolve. This helped me.
im using 4/0 cable and protecting at 300A (largest i could find)

Well I took a slightly different route, using the Radian instead of the Mojave. Kinda forgot about the RSD.

I was able to get the Mojave (inverter only) the other week. it looks like they use to only sell it (at least in my area) with their outback battery, which was not the chemistry or size i needed. But now I am able to get the inverter only and my own 3rd party batter. I'm excited to set it up, just waiting on some parts.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and plans. Your diagrams are very clear and well made. It motivates me to have just as good of drawings.

. Should I leave it as-is, and add a second switch for the inverter RSD?
I think you will need the separate RSD switch. When the AC disconnect is pulled the Mojave, or any hybrid, will just continue because it will assume a power outage. RSD will actually turn off inverter and shut down DC coupled solar panels if programmed.

I think you will need the separate RSD switch. When the AC disconnect is pulled the Mojave, or any hybrid, will just continue because it will assume a power outage. RSD will actually turn off inverter and shut down DC coupled solar panels if programmed.
Yeah after my redo I totally forgot about it. I'll have to wire one up, I guess. Easy enough, just yet another thing!

Back