diy solar

diy solar

Quick build van project

HarryN

Solar Enthusiast
Got a call from a friend that they were struggling with their van electrical system build on Tuesday.

Needed it running by Wed night for something with a customer on Thursday morning.

Starting Components:
- Pair of EG-4 24 volt batteries
- Hybrid Magnum 3000 inverter ( unfortunately the supplier shipped a 12 volt input one )
- They had done a good job with the 120 vac side with breakers and wire protection so that was all fine
- Houghton air conditioner
- Some 120 vac powered equipment
- There are no DC loads in this setup - it is a mobile business

For some reason the EG-4s also seemed to need a software update but the van owner was frustrated with things and didn't have the cables to do the update, we could not wait, and the voltage of the batteries didn't match the inverter.

So that was the starting point.

So Tuesday afternoon I finally had all of that info and started to scour my shop for parts and ways to get all of this running.

By Tuesday late evening I had a preliminary build up of a DC system - not optimized size wise, but viable. Missing a few items but progress.

Pulled the 4 battle born 100s off of my test stand (they really only have a modest number of cycles on them as I use them to test systems)

When the van arrived on Wed am - what I built was too large to fit into the space on the wall - so time to do some work to make it more compact - using the parts and wires I had in stock. Fortunately I have a pretty decent stock of 2 awg and a few heavier wires.

It was getting hot and my son and I were working in tight quarters so it isn't perfect but it is operational.

We caught a wiring error during start up - can you see it in the photos ?

Solar add on is coming next.

Harry

Edit - sorry - must have had the photos in the wrong format.

The pictures are blurry - the aperture was open too wide so not much depth of field. Need to train the photographer.

There are 4 battle borns (what I had on hand ) and then as always I put a breaker on each parallel battery string.

It is fairly simple but getting it all to fit with existing parts and wires - into a tight space on a hot day can be challenging.

There is still some more wire management needed but the basics are there.

Feeding the magum hybrid 3000 inverter. We only had time to do a fairly basic setup and testing vs the normal 3 days that I usually do, but man that thing blows away the V 3000s for power and how it runs.

Attachments

• DC distribution board sq comp.jpg
    DC distribution board sq comp.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 6
  • batteries wired sq.jpg
    batteries wired sq.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DC distr plus magnum inverter sq comp.jpg
    DC distr plus magnum inverter sq comp.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back