diy solar

diy solar

Quiet 3kW Cabin System Advice

The heat sink on the Morningstar charge controller is MASSIVE! I've never seen one so large:

The quietest inverter you can get is a Morningstar SureSine. They have one that is continuous output of 2500W. It is quiet because it is completely designed for passive cooling with large heat sink. There are no fans. I have the 150W version. You'd need separate charge controller.
Is there any transformer hum like a Victron? Looks like the SureSines have Bluetooth support out of the box in addition to various hardware interfaces.

Is there any transformer hum like a Victron? Looks like the SureSines have Bluetooth support out of the box in addition to various hardware interfaces.
I only have the 150W and it's barely audible. They also still do not have the iOS app available for bluetooth access but the Android one is available.

I only have the 150W and it's barely audible. They also still do not have the iOS app available for bluetooth access but the Android one is available.
I only have Android but this doesn't work for you?

I just hooked up my 2500w version today for the first time just to test it out. When it was running at 750 watts, there was a pretty faint hum. Didn't have any more quiet loads to throw at it. It ran handheld power tools fine, but would not run my 15 amp miter saw. The app worked fine on my apple phone.

I just hooked up my 2500w version today for the first time just to test it out. When it was running at 750 watts, there was a pretty faint hum. Didn't have any more quiet loads to throw at it. It ran handheld power tools fine, but would not run my 15 amp miter saw. The app worked fine on my apple phone.
Thanks for the info. What battery system are you running? Maybe that dipped low when you tried the miter saw?

You have the new Morningstar 2500 watt Suresine? It would not start your 15 amp miter saw? That is interesting as they list a 5kw surge rating.

Could you please confirm the no load idle consumption?

This inverter is on my shortlist and there is no field reports yet.

You have the new Morningstar 2500 watt Suresine? It would not start your 15 amp miter saw? That is interesting as they list a 5kw surge rating.

Could you please confirm the no load idle consumption?
That sounds like a weak battery/bad cable situation.

Edit; After reading back into the whole post, You are asking a lot of your 2000 watt inverter after running a 750 watt load and THEN hitting it with the surge that a chop saw would draw you are probably asking a bit too much of your inverter. The 5000 surge rating is probably shorter, timewise. than your Chop saw needs.

Last edited:
That sounds like a weak battery/bad cable situation.

Edit; After reading back into the whole post, You are asking a lot of your 2000 watt inverter after running a 750 watt load and THEN hitting it with the surge that a chop saw would draw you are probably asking a bit too much of your inverter. The 5000 surge rating is probably shorter, timewise. than your Chop saw needs.
The Suresine 2500 watt has a :
<5 sec 5000 watt surge
1 min 3750 watt rating
3 min 3000 watt rating
2500 watt continuous, all at 40c
and 18.6 watt self consumption
It has caught my attention, would like to know if the specs are field verified or an embellishment.

I don't have an appropriate meter to measure the idle consumption. I can say if there is no load on the AC side, the battery says it is in standby mode, no current flowing.

I did try the saw with a temp setup and smaller wires, haven't really thrown anything heavy at it since it was installed in the cabin. It does run the pancake compressor just fine.

The app is a bit wacky. Says it's only putting out 6 watts running the fridge, should be 95-100. It was right on with a resistive load like an electric water kettle.

I don't care about remote monitoring. I would never network my offgrid setups. The entire intent for me is airgapped systems. I've got two legs. I can walk over and look if I want to know my system's status.
Exactly?
It's beneficial to occasionally get up, walk across room and observe system and component status in person. I like to see with my own eyes, which may observe important details beyond the parameters of sensors and meters.
The sensors, meters etc, won't inform you that rodents are eating wires, or if yellowjackets are building their nest/home on, or working at completely engulfing the components of your system, before it's too late.
Better to maintain the system, than needing to replace it.?

Back