diy solar

diy solar

Rack mount inverter 6048s

Pickuptrck

NV owner builder
I have 3x6048s and 3x 280ah batteries.

I'm looking at the used rack attached. The 4 drawers seem perfect for the batteries (with 1 for expansion), and the 3 lower would generate heat upward to solve my cold weather issue with them in the unheated garage,. The door could open for summer to direct vent.

I think mounting the wires to the back with wire loops hanging down, everything should be able to rack-slide out and drop back down when returned to store mode. Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231223-201128.png
    Screenshot_20231223-201128.png
    891 KB · Views: 15
Almost everything has been done once before.

But if your components fit and cables cannot drag in motion and it’s safe with proper fusing and shutoffs why not?

Your homeowner’s insurance may not like a non-UL component. But if you are competent for the task and don’t care about your insurance or whatever- go for it.
I cannot judge your competency but I’m fully confident and comfortable with what I choose to do and not to do.

Whatever you do by your own judgment and volition is up to you. Nobody here can improve your choice(s) nor alter your competence; any approval here is anecdotal and thereby of no value regarding the question posed. You are responsible for whatever you choose or choose not to do.

Just the way it is

Thank you 12v. I ran into a new problem, the lv6048 is 24.5" wide, I can't find a used rack wider than the standard 19 wide other than new/custom.

Has anyone seen a rail-only kit? I can use plexi for a door easily, but he verticals may just have to be something like unistrut?

the lv6048 is 24.5" wide, I can't find a used rack wider than the standard 19 wide other than new/custom.
are you planning to put the 3 inverters in the rack?
Stand the three inverters up on edge? on separate full extension roller glides.
There are a lot of wires on the MPP 6048 - communications between all the inverters (6) load sharing sensing wires (four-conductors x 6 cables), additional wires for a shunt, Solar Assistant (or other monitor) cables to supply AC to a load panel, more cables to bring AC from grid supply to the inverters. Best to mount the inverters on a wall/fixed surface.

Offgridforgood, I have had the whole setup up and working for about 2 years with the inverters wall mounted. All wiring is by me and inspected. I was never happy with that as the fans blow down, defeating using convection as it was meant to be used by carrying heat out the top and with them having rack handles on their frame, its as though internals were rearranged to suit the case and not vice versa. I would like the 3 inverters horizontally mounted on bearing slide rails for the very infrequent interactions needed The batteries above that to use their heat in a closed rack to improve cold weather performance. Wiring is a chore, but I've worked on a few 3in thick cat5 bundles inside servers, a drip-loop droop allows movements for rail extension and storage.

defeating using convection as it was meant to be used by carrying heat out the top and with them having rack handles on their frame, its as though internals were rearranged to suit the case and not vice versa
There is the thing that 6548’s are stupid dependable and longterm proven so I’m thinking it ain’t a problem. Don’t worry, be happy?

I have pondered flipping the fans over, to blow out the top, however in my set up (the shop electrical room) the max temp ever in that area is only 24-degrees C (75F) so I didn't bother to change them. One day if the fans wear out maybe.
Putting them in a rack may work for you, especially if you have a separate monitoring system connected, like Solar Assistant. (I do, and love it) so you will not need to access the equipment itself very often to adjust settings, once it is set and running. My own three inverters are set up with only the 'master' easily accessed, since the other two just follow orders from that one. Most of the time I make changes from solar assistant from my phone or laptop without even going to the electrical room physically.
I wouldn't want to be kneeling on the floor to connect the inverters or anytime something needs attention, maybe this will be infrequent once you have it running.

To hold the wider inverters you need a wider cabinet, I wonder if you can add full extension drawer glides to a file cabinet or a large steel tool box. The trick will be finding one the right dimensions - or build one as 12Voltinstalls pointed out. I have built my own racks for my DIY battery packs, and these use small steel angle and some light welding, & spray paint. Some of the members on the forum say used server racking is tossed out 'all the time' as they do upgrades in IT work. There are wider racks available - maybe you can source one, or modify a rack to hold the wider inverters.

I have to agree the form factor of putting batteries in a rack but the inverters and most of the other equipment on a wall, has always seemed awkward at best. My DIY racks are 30" deep but the inverters are only 6", putting a stack of batteries between two or three inverters doesn't work very well. We want the batteries close to the inverters to keep the large wires short as possible, but then we need to put the rack to one side, often in a corner, to deal with the dimensions of the rack. Then to connect it together we end up running electrical trough between them to contain the wires. I have been planning an upgrade to the solar that will change from three 6kW inverters to two 12kW, taking less wall space. The battery server rack will fit into a purpose built jog in the adjacent wall, 24" x 32" just to suit it's dimensions and maintain access to the front for battery removal/insertion/maintenance.

I have wondered about designing a partition wall set-up, with stacks of server racks on one side backing onto a partition to support the Inverters, heavy cables run straight through the partition from the rack batteries to the inverters - no trough. Wouldn't fit in my current space, but interesting to think about alternative layouts from what we always see posted. Good luck with your project, it would be interesting to see what you end up with.

Last edited:
Back