diy solar

diy solar

Time to build my utility room. Looking for opinions

Zapper77

Renaissance Man
1688090605274.png
4'x8' "Usable" floor space. (maybe able to widen to 5 feet)
Battery Rack is 24" Wide x 27" Deep, Batteries are 21" Deep
Door will open outward towards Vehicle Parking Area (Detached Garage)

Preexisting Outlet above Batteries
Future Expansion 2nd Battery Rack and space on the East Wall for a 2nd 18KPV Inverter
Small Subpanel located on outside west wall...could be relocated. (Main disconnect next to meter per local code)
6500ex would be isolated from main system but would share battery pack.

Looking for Opinions on 24" Aisle in front of Batteries...(could move door forward) or anything else.

On the flip side, the smaller the space, the easier to keep cool.

Lots of equipment in there though

Yeah, I saw the A/C unit and did think about that.

I just hate troubleshooting stuff and getting tangled in the leads while doing so and/or getting across +/- by mistake due to a lack of elbow room.

Zapper, what's the context of this thing? What is the rest of your compound like? Could you tolerate a small (8 x 20 or the next size down) freight container? Those are my go-tos when the situation is appropriate. You can partition part of it off then insulate and A/C just that part. Then store all the crap you should be throwing away in the rest.

Yeah, I saw the A/C unit and did think about that.

I just hate troubleshooting stuff and getting tangled in the leads while doing so and/or getting across +/- by mistake due to a lack of elbow room.

Zapper, what's the context of this thing? What is the rest of your compound like? Could you tolerate a small (8 x 20 or the next size down) freight container? Those are my go-tos when the situation is appropriate. You can partition part of it off then insulate and A/C just that part. Then store all the crap you should be throwing away in the rest.
And I was thinking about going even smaller. ?

I went 6x9 wish I went 8x10 with the 2x4 ft bench to build on takes a little more room than I thought but it’s well insulated and it only take 1.3 kw daily to ac to keep it at 74f 5000 btu unit

Yea I do store all my spares and solar related tools and supplies in there and the wife thinks the mini fridge is for cooling down warm electronics just think of it as a second man cave don’t go too small

Yea I do store all my spares and solar related tools and supplies in there and the wife thinks the mini fridge is for cooling down warm electronics just think of it as a second man cave don’t go too small
I had a larger plan in my head...I told her I need room for a work area, a mattress, storage for spares and solar tools.

Consider this - the floor space is the same size as a piece of plywood.

If doorway located middle of one side rather than the end, it will be much more usable.
When I remodeled my bathroom, similar issue. Used to be a convoluted path around fixtures to reach shower/tub at far end. Now I enter middle of the side and everything is laid out well.

Step through a 30" door in the middle, and you have 33" deep to the left, to the right, and in front of you. Or a wide door or double-door.
(Corners, however, are less accessible if equipment is deep.)

I've set up a kitchen with similar dimensions. U-shaped, 7' wide, 5' deep (no doorway, opens to living area.) In that case, corners have corner sink cabinet, swing-out cabinet, upper corner cabinets. I think 8' would have allowed both lower corner cabinets.

You might be able to fit racks in two corners, other things along the walls. I'm planning a lab with one rack in a corner and benches left/right of it.

The only thing I'm thinking is if you have to slide out those 100 lb batteries for maintenance you're going to be pretty jammed up. Or you could roll the whole rack out if you disconnected it I suppose. I've found I'm not a fan of rolling those 600+ lb racks around so much. The first rack I got had no wheels so I bought some rated for 750 lbs and they promply crushed. That rack is sitting on some 2x4s now. Got the SS included wheels on the second rack and they are way beefier. But you know they're going to get flat on the bottom after a year or two and not roll so great.

Otherwise, it looks good to me, as long as you're sure you won't ever want more than two racks of batteries. I started off with 4 batteries and now have 12 and wife stays on me regularly to get at least one more rack but she'd rather see two. Planning for expansion may be a good idea. Or not.

My room was already my utility room with a furnace and water heater. A few inches each way bigger than a sheet of plywood. I'm making it work, but man is it tight. Simply no room for growth.

My stuff is mounted to Unistrut on a block wall under a deck. Wrapped around at end of the deck. Also on wall outside the deck.
Presently 9 boxes all the size of the ones in my Avatar mounted outside. Several more on the wall inside garage. More strewn about the floor with extension cords (I use NEMA or twist-lock plugs to connect.)

Batteries (AGM) just lined up on the ground. A cargo strap around them to prevent sliding in the event of an earthquake.

View attachment 155059
4'x8' "Usable" floor space. (maybe able to widen to 5 feet)
Battery Rack is 24" Wide x 27" Deep, Batteries are 21" Deep
Door will open outward towards Vehicle Parking Area (Detached Garage)

Preexisting Outlet above Batteries
Future Expansion 2nd Battery Rack and space on the East Wall for a 2nd 18KPV Inverter
Small Subpanel located on outside west wall...could be relocated. (Main disconnect next to meter per local code)
6500ex would be isolated from main system but would share battery pack.

Looking for Opinions on 24" Aisle in front of Batteries...(could move door forward) or anything else.
I just got through with a similar sized area for my power gear and batts...I would give anything for an extra foot in width…go for that 5th extra foot if possible …hell, go 6 ft..….I wish I had……

The only thing I'm thinking is if you have to slide out those 100 lb batteries for maintenance you're going to be pretty jammed up. Or you could roll the whole rack out if you disconnected it I suppose. .
I could put two racks on the west wall facing towards the inverters.

I just got through with a similar sized area for my power gear and batts...I would give anything for an extra foot in width…go for that 5th extra foot if possible …hell, go 6 ft..….I wish I had……
I may need to do that. I really like the idea of having a 5x8...i could go longer.

I may need to do that. I really like the idea of having a 5x8...i could go longer.
It spooky how easy it is to underestimate even when carefully measuring…it’s like like supernatural Man……I think somthin is goin on….

Back