diy solar

diy solar

Re-booting the inverter after tripping? …

DaveJ

Flamingo Vlei, Blouberg, W Cape, South Africa
We’re relatively new to this so please bear with me if my question is a bit naive! …

Our system consists of Deye 8kw inverter – 7.2 kw Edison lithium battery and 10 x JA 540 w solar panels in 2 strings of 5 each.

In these early days, we’re learning our system through making mistakes ie., during one of our frequent South African 2 hour long power cuts, the geyser mistakenly came on and was presumably draining the battery real fast. Someone put the kettle on and POOF – the system tripped, so we were left with no power until the grid (Eskom) came back on and the inverter re-booted itself and we were back to normal.

However, here’s my hypothetical question.

Say we’re in the total permanent grid down/black out scenario and there’s no grid (Eskom) power coming into the system, thus we are entirely reliant on PV power during the day to power a few devices/lights/fridges and security and to keep the battery at 100 %, so it can take us through the night and the hours when the PV panels can’t provide enough or any electricity.

So, if for some reason the battery/inverter system trips because someone turns on something they shouldn’t have during the night. So we sit there with no power hoping the contents of the freezers don’t spoil – but there’s no grid electricity to re-boot the inverter, so once the PV panels kick in during the day when there’s daylight, will the inverter that’s tripped automatically “sense” there’s now sufficient power from the solar panels (whatever that amount of power is) and re-boot itself at some point, as it does after a 2 hour long power cut when the power comes back on?

If the inverter doesn’t sense that there’s sufficient power coming from the PV panels to re-boot itself, is there a manual way of re-booting the inverter when there’s sufficient power being generated from the panels?

My thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can give me on this subject – much appreciated.

Dave J – Blouberg – W Cape – South Africa

Does the Deye have an on/off switch? If worse comes to worse, physically disconnect one of the battery cables, let the unit go completely dead, then re-boot it on battery power only. Monitor the solar input during the day to make sure the unit is keeping the batteries charged.

Keep in mind though that a 7.2kWh battery is rather small, and assuming you don't want to deplete it past 80%, that leaves you with only 5700Wh of power. Enough to get through the night, but not enough if a storm blows through.

Back