diy solar

diy solar

Ready made vs DIY

This question may be here somewhere but I am not seeing it. I am looking into a solar generator for some off grid RV trips where my gas generator is usage is minimized. I have a few questions. First, is it more cost effective to build your own vs. buying something like the Yeti, Kodiak, or numerous others? Second, this may be the wrong forum but I would like to add a cheap wind turbine for 24/7 charging and not sure this is possible. Also, 12v vs. 24v. Which would be more efficient in a desert setting? Last, what would be the biggest obstacles of building it myself? Sizing would be a nominal issue as I can increase and decrease at will.

A few questions to help you get a reasonable answer:
1) How big of a load do you have in watts per day used.
2) Size of generator you want to outplace
3) Do you want Solar, Solar & Wind (yes possible) or just wind ?

Ready Made kits are obviously more expensive and especially if you attach a name like Yeti to it. There are goof "Value" kits out there for less and there are … well you know. DIY will bring you in at a medium low cost price point BUT you get to choose the equipment and you can build something better for yourself within the same budget.

The DIY Blueprints have some info that you can use and also a few of the people here are DIY'ing their own and documenting it.

I'm not saying this is best, it is the course I choose.

I wanted to be self contained with backup. So I built space for 4 GC-135 FLA batteries & their support equipment under the trailer between the axle beams. I provided 2 Honda EU2200 Si generators with 9 gals of aux fuel. I've recently added more Renogy 100 watt panels 2s2p.
This gets me independent living on or off the grid. I'm limited to a 300w Morning Star PSW inverter ATM & will avoid adding anything bigger till I get 0.8-1.2Kw on the roof. We use the generator to make java in the AM & dump in some amps then solar till sundown.
I'm not wanting to setup & stow a piece of gear at each stop. I usually get good solar production while on the road & disconnected the truck alternator from the trailer.
A solar generator is nice if you want solar to go with you like a fishing lodge or cabin & still have it for use @ home.
If I go lithium I'll need to reconsider my battery location cause we play with Jack Frost in the fall.

You'll definitely need to identify your power requirement before you can get into the cost comparison discussion. In my opinion the comparison between buy vs build is more about flexibility to expand over time and control the quality of components used rather than focus just on cost. If you build your own you can control costs also and come up with a similarly priced option. With DIY you can replace/upgrade components as your needs change.

I have a Yeti 1000 and wanted more capacity to run a few more appliances so I bought an Inergy Apex to use as a 2nd generator which I promptly returned after testing it (see my post on the Apex usage tax). The Yeti is very convenient, just plug in and use, and is far more cost effective in actual use than the Apex. But its expensive to expand and you need to add chargers/solar controllers it to improve its charge rate. My Yeti only cost me ~$850 at Costco so very inexpensive for what it does.

I'm now building a DIY (trans)portable into a Rigid Toolbox from HomeDepot with a BattleBorn 100a battery, 1500w inverter, battery monitor, and Victron 10a AC Charger. My use case is to maintain my refrigerator and freezer during short power outages. I'm working on adding solar charging to it as soon as I select my components. Without solar my costs so far have been around $1300. The components I chose were higher quality/cost compared to others on the market, but I felt more comfortable with what I believe are higher quality components. Certainly higher quality than what is built into my Yeti. That to me is the best part about a DIY. I can choose the parts, tailor the cost, service the system myself, and add another battery later if I want/need it. Note: My DIY is not as light, small, or elegantly packaged as the Yeti... just another tradeoff.

Like everything in solar, what's best for you mostly depends on your needs and how much effort/cost you choose to put into assembling it.

I want POWER from my portable generator...

I am building in a 5KW split phase LF inverter... the thing is HUGE, but I want one able to power my mothers well pump, AC, lights, and kitchen... maybe not all at the same time, or for extended times... but ABLE to power the needs.

I’m planning in 10KWh of lithium, and a decent 80 amp mppt CC.

I have a bank of prismatic cells gaining room. I’m using the ridgid stacking packout for the platform. It has wheels, and is waterproof... my concern is summer use heat temp of the batteries, and winter use low temp...

Fairly shallow.
We pulled it up to fix leaks in the line... so I know it is exactly 50'

Back