diy solar

diy solar

Rebel Batteries BMS or cell issue?

ThrottleAbuse

I am having a bit of an issue with a Rebel Batteries 100 Ah battery. I can't figure out if a cell went bad, the BMS died or both. I have been reaching out to Rebel since Saturday and have not heard back. Left voivemails, chat on the site, emails, and even a message on facebook. Hate to out a small company on blast but it is what it is. My battery isnt working and the 5 year warranty seems like a joke if no one will contact me back.

On to my issue. The battery out of nowhere just stopped working. At first I thought I left something on and it went completely dead. Opened the app and it said cell overvoltage protection. That seemed a bit odd. After looking at the app some more I noticed the temp was reading 98.8 deg C. So I did some digging and got the updated app and cell 1 shows 2.92V and temp 2 shows 100 deg C. The other cells 3.33, 3.33 and 3.74 The low voltage could be possible on cell 1 however I am pretty confident no part of the battery is at 100 C. Is it worth opening the battery to try and test the cells or is this more likely a BMS issue? I just thinking the bms died or the temp sensor is bad and that is causing the weird readings with overvolt protection, high temp and low single cell voltage? Those three things dont line up.

I have been reaching out to Rebel since Saturday and have not heard back.

That is unusual; IME @ashelby is typically quite responsive.

In the interim, all the BMS I've seen him describe on the RB batts are JBD units, so you might want to google the symptoms with JBD. Sounds to me like the BMS has gone loco.

Is it worth opening the battery to try and test the cells or is this more likely a BMS issue?

I wouldn't crack the case until you hear from Aric. With any luck he knows of some non-invasive way to test/reset.

That is unusual; IME @ashelby is typically quite responsive.

In the interim, all the BMS I've seen him describe on the RB batts are JBD units, so you might want to google the symptoms with JBD. Sounds to me like the BMS has gone loco.

I wouldn't crack the case until you hear from Aric. With any luck he knows of some non-invasive way to test/reset.
Thanks.

I literally went with the rebel battery because of his activity/story. Seemed like a company I wanted to support. So yeah I am surprised with the radio silence.

I will get my google foo going on the JBD BMS symptoms.

I just had a rebel 50aH trolling motor battery fail. It will output to load for a few seconds, then shut down. The battery is just over a year old and is being used in a 36v system. The response from rebel is very slow, over a week for first reply. I mailed battery back to them and radio silence now. I wish I had just purchased cheaper 50aH batteries like I just had to so I don't lose the rest of the fishing season. I'll only be buying batteries from larger companies for now on.

I have heard back and was told a box would be sent out on the 23rd of August. So far nothing has shown up and I have asked for a status update twice. So glad I didnt buy the 2x 300Ah batteries from them I was looking to order.

I did receive a new 50aH replacement battery from Rebel. I had to mail battery back and they replied that they couldn't determine what went wrong and there was no water intrusion. Was covered under warranty. Whole process took about a month with the longest time being a few weeks of slow communication in the beginning to determine what happened. Am I happy? I am happy I received a new battery under warranty but their communication could be better. Hard to say if they are better than the cheaper amazon vendors who could disappear at any time. It seems Rebel has real support, just slow.

Well I am still waiting on my warranty issue. Sent the battery back over 2 months ago at this point and I havent even got an email saying they recieved it. Im pretty pissed at this point. No I have nothing. If I didnt send the battery back I could have at least tried to get a new BMS or fix the broken one. @ashelby does not appear to be active on the forum any longer

Well I am still waiting on my warranty issue. Sent the battery back over 2 months ago at this point and I havent even got an email saying they recieved it. Im pretty pissed at this point. No I have nothing. If I didnt send the battery back I could have at least tried to get a new BMS or fix the broken one. @ashelby does not appear to be active on the forum any longer
yea i bought 4= 100 ah batteries from rebel Battery and i am having problems with mine to.. eric will Not Answer None of my emails about a month now this is not good that means the 5 warranty is No good.. im starting to see Bad reviews every where Now...

Well shortly after I made my last comment he reached out and sent a replacement battery. The replacement is a plastic case instead of my original metal case. Looking at his inventory it seems he is out of metal and almost all the other models. Sucks to see but his social media accounts have been updated in a long time.

Back