diy solar

diy solar

Rec Bms problem

Let me know if it works guys. Mine system is already connected to my victron and
ok I was so hopeful but after swapping 4 and 5 I'm still getting bms not found. Setting 16 and 0...also tried 2 and 0...Damn
Check the REC BMS Victron manual and the PIN-outs for RS-485 DB Connector. If you have a multimeter, you can check if all are set up right according to the scheme and working.

See REC BMS Victron manual (http://www.rec-bms.com/datasheet/UserManual_REC_Victron_BMS.pdf) Page 11:

1620585679722.png

On the Wifi module, you have the pinouts marked, so it should be easy to follow. As already written, try switching B and A. Or perhaps your cable has other wires wrong...

That way you can eliminate a cable fault. I am not sure what BMS you've got. Mine is REC BMS 16S and is working under send address 1:

1620585552941.png

You can also try to get a RS-485 to USB converter from Amazon

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Conve...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

or any computer store and get the PC Master SW from REC. They have sent it to me upon my request.

I have used Breadboard cables to connect it to the right pins on the BMS.

1620585991294.png

Ok got it working. The factory cable from REC between the WiFi and the DB9 to the main harness was the issue.

Make sure:

DB9 end -- Color -- Use -- 10 pin pin #

Pin 2 -- Brown -- GND -- 9 (BLK on this side as shield cable tie)
Pin 3 -- Yellow -- Data B -- 4
Pin 4 -- Green -- Data A -- 5
Pin 6 -- White -- +5 -- 10

Small resistor between 3 and 4 on the DB9 side

On mine the ground wire was broken/clipped. Once fixed it all works.

I am quite disappointed as you still need the PC software to change any of the more detailed settings... REC said all settings could be done via WIFI but it appears only a set of the common settings is possible. Perhaps via SSH or something you can do more. Will have to dig into that.

Ok got it working. The factory cable from REC between the WiFi and the DB9 to the main harness was the issue.

Make sure:

DB9 end -- Color -- Use -- 10 pin pin #

Pin 2 -- Brown -- GND -- 9 (BLK on this side as shield cable tie)
Pin 3 -- Yellow -- Data B -- 4
Pin 4 -- Green -- Data A -- 5
Pin 6 -- White -- +5 -- 10

Small resistor between 3 and 4 on the DB9 side

On mine the ground wire was broken/clipped. Once fixed it all works.

I am quite disappointed as you still need the PC software to change any of the more detailed settings... REC said all settings could be done via WIFI but it appears only a set of the common settings is possible. Perhaps via SSH or something you can do more. Will have to dig into that.
Awesome. I am glad you have it up and running. What settings options are you missing?

Awesome. I am glad you have it up and running. What settings options are you missing?

All the controls for relay 2 and opto 1 and 2

Also you can't specify battery chemistry for custom; which is an issue as the LiPo4 is for Winstons which have much different voltage limits.

Oh I see. Well, I am not that far. I am still figuring out the basics. From what I saw in the specs and manual, it should be not that hard to make a DIY wifi module. The comm protocol is documented quite well so the only issue is to get an ESP board RS-485 capable and do some programming.

Oh I see. Well, I am not that far. I am still figuring out the basics. From what I saw in the specs and manual, it should be not that hard to make a DIY wifi module. The comm protocol is documented quite well so the only issue is to get an ESP board RS-485 capable and do some programming.

I am trying to use the "import setting" to load my own commands even if the WiFi GUI doesn't have fields for it.

BTW, for everyone seeing this thread, there's now a new version of the WiFi module firmware that adds a bunch of features and bug fixes.
I installed the update on mine and everything went smooth.
My understanding is the cable issue was an early production issue that has now been addressed by REC.

BTW, for everyone seeing this thread, there's now a new version of the WiFi module firmware that adds a bunch of features and bug fixes.
I installed the update on mine and everything went smooth.
My understanding is the cable issue was an early production issue that has now been addressed by REC.
Thanks for the heads up @erarnund . I am going to write to REC guys and ask them for the updated version. My system is working quite steady. Actually I have not touched it for several months now. (Knock on wood)

Back